Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool refrigerator that is about 10 years old

I have a whirlpool refrigerator that is about 10 years old and as of this week the refrigerator has become very loud it sounds like is an airplane about to take off eac time the refrigerator fan comes on. Do you think it is worth having a repair man or based on the age should I just break down and purchase a new refrigerator?
Thanks TER

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

does this sound come from the back where the compressor is ? or does it sound like its inside?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The sound seem s to be coming from the back where the compressor is.
ok does it sound like a fan hitting something? or does it soiund like the compressor itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
originally it sounded like the fan hitting something, however it has grown increasingly louder over the last day or so.
its probably the compressor then, this is a high dollar repair, about $600.00 to $700.00 before buying a new refrigerator take the rear panel off over the compressor area and make sure its clean and dust free especially around the fan next to the compressor, if the fan is spinning freely and not making noise it's the compressor, hope this helps thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You have been extremely informative and very helpful. Thanks for your expert advice!