Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi, I have a whirlpool 2 door, counter depth fridge. It has

Customer Question

Hi, I have a whirlpool 2 door, counter depth fridge. It has stopped cooling. I hear the fan, but the refrigerator is about 65 in both the freezer and refrigerator areas. The model is GC5SHEXNS03, serial SS4721208, type 25CD. I need to know what is likely causing this because this is a relatively new item, we got it late 2006. We have a family of 6 and some pretty serious medical problems at the moment and we are financially strapped. In my entire life I have never seen a fridge fail after 4 years of use, especially when it's not opened much except morning and evening.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the fans are running, then the refrigerator knows it needs to cool down. That means that your compressor isn't running. This could be due to a faulty compressor a bad overload relay. Since you noticed the separator being hot between the freezer and refrigerator doors, pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If not, that is what is causing your problem. You'll need to unplug the unit and let it sit to cool down the compressor, then replace the condenser fan motor if it's getting power and not running. If it's not getting 120 volts, you need to replace your main control board because it's not sending power to the condenser fan motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you give me the specific part numbers for the options you explained?

Also, the separator is no longer hot, it stopped being hot a couple of days ago, but that may have been when the fridge stopped cooling (we had family in town through yesterday).
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
a part number? You haven't even checked to see if the fan is running, how am I supposed to know what part you need?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
:) I finished pulling off the back panel. The fan on the right side is running. I felt the compressor (I'm assuming the roundish black tank is the compressor, as it looks similar to our air compressor), and it is not hot.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok so you either have a bad control board or a bad overload realy. Attached to the side of the compressor is a small plastic box with wires going to it. Unplug the refrigerator and pull the plastic box off. Remove the overload relay and shake it. If you remove the box and shake it and it rattles, you need to replace it. Otherwise replace the control board. Below is a link to the control board you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I'm looking at the this part PDF for reference. http://www.kitchenaid.ca/assets/pdfs/literature/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%208214717.pdf

On page 17, there are 2 boxes, and I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct one. When you refer to the overload relay, are you talking about #12 or #36? (numbered descriptions are on page 18) I don't want to take stuff off without being sure that it's the right part. :)

When you're referring to the control board, are you talking about the one inside the fridge's drop down temperature panel (pg 16 number 6) ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
There is only one small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with wires going to it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The plastic box on the compressor does have a screw to unscrew, but the box doesn't come off and I can't find any plastic push clips/etc that would release it. Unless it's just brute force (which, in my exp, generally causes more problems than not!).

On the diagram, the attached box isn't called an overload relay, it's called a terminal cover (p 17, #12), and doesn't seem to have anything inside of it that could shake around. I understand that some things may be called one thing or another. I build computers and have fixed our dishwasher, washer & dryer myself, so I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or dumb. :)

The model of the compressor is an Embraco VEGY 7H. Do some of these either have a separate overload relay (there is a grey box next to the compressor, or one that is integral to the unit?

::confused::
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok so this model has an Embraco compressor which means it has the upgraded compressor, which means the grey box next to the compressor is the compressor is the part you need to replace. This is your inverter box and it is what sends power to your compressor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just got back to the house.

Please look at the PDF diagram, page 17. There are 2 grey boxes. Neither is called an overload relay on the diagram. The specific items I'm looking at are on page 17 of the PDF, titled "unit parts." The 2 grey boxes I'm talking about are numbered 36 (inverter box) and 19 (electronic control).

Am I supposed to pull one of these and shake it?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry there are no pages for me and I already stated you need the inverter box part 36. Have a nice day and good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's not acceptable. You have not looked at the PDF link I sent you which is the diagram of the exact model of refrigerator, you are not giving me a detailed answer as to which box, etc etc. You never said inverter box, you said overload relay. I am frustrated.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Quote:

I did say you need the inverter box. Its like you're not even reading my answers.