Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My freezer is working but the fridge is not. I can hear the

Customer Question

My freezer is working but the fridge is not. I can hear the motor running but the fridge never gets cool even on the highest setting
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Is the fan blowing air in the freezer? Is there a cold spot anywhere on the rear freezer wall, is that spot frosty?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a Maytag Model AFD253DEB.

I feel a fan blowing in the freezer but noting in the fridge.

The back wall of the freezer is covered in frost.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
You have a part that is broken in the defrost system. There is one number missing in the model number, it should be AFD"XXXX"DEB. I cannot see if you have a electronic defrost timer or mechanical. The approach to testing for the bad part will be different depending on which you have. In either case the rear wall in the freezer that is frosted will need to come off. You can then defrost that with a hair dryer and it will cool for about 10 days, but don't defrost yes. If you have a mechanical timer I will tell you how to manually set that timer into defrost and that will tell us which of the parts is bad.

If it turns out you have an electronic timer you will need an ohm meter to test with if you can get one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Electronic timer, you will need to manually defrost the freezer to get the cooling coils defrosted so the air can circulate.

Do you have an ohm meter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No ohm meter
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
The most likely part is the control board. If you will defrost your unit. The control board is the control where you change temperatures. That part controls everything that refrigerator does.

To change unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet. Take down the panel where you change the temperature. Then you can see the circuit board change it out and follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part to program the new board.

If you have questions please ask.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would it help to defrost the rear of the freezer with a hair dryer while I wait for the part to arrive?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Yes absolutely. Please forgive me for leaving that out. I am so sorry.

Yes remove the rear freezer panel where the frost is in the freezer and defrost the coils behind that. I arrowed red the parts that need to come out and the ice maker if you have one. The blue arrow is the coils. The refrigerator will cool normally about 10 days and then it will need to be defrosted again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! We appreciate you using our service. Please return when you need us again.

Have a really nice Sunday,