The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Kenmore Elite 665.13793K600 green light blinks and dishwasher

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite 665.13793K600 green light blinks and dishwasher won't start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Does the light blink seven times, pause, and then repeat

Customer :

yes

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will receive a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok you have a failed heating system. Most likely the heating element at the bottom of the unit has gone out. To test, and replace it it you need to remove the unit from the counter and tip it back so you can access the bottom of the unit. To test the element you need to disconnect the wires going to it and do a continuity (ohms) test to the element. If it does not have continuity it will need to be replaced. Please stand by and I will get you parts ordering information.
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to order the new element.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer :

ok, i'll give this a try. I tell you this dishwasher has really been problematic since the warentee expired.

Customer :

first the door sensor went on it last year

Customer :

now the heating element this year

Customer :

do you think i should consider replacing it

The Home Smithy :

The seven flashes problem is a common failure with these units. Other than that they are good units. The element isnt that expensive to replace (if you do it yourself). I would go ahead and replace the element and keep this unit.

The Home Smithy :

FYI: the newer elements are not problematic like the origonal ones

Customer :

good to hear thank you

The Home Smithy :

You are welcome.

The Home Smithy :

If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer :

I took out my unit and looked under it and don't see anything that looks like the picture of the part

Customer :

can you give me more detailed instructions on removing the heater

The Home Smithy :

Ok if you look inside of the unit there are two places that the heating element goes down into the bottom of the unit. Directly below those two points is where the connections for the element are.

Customer :

oh, so the heating element is inside the unit and i need to disconnect it from under the unit

Customer :

ok, do you have any picture of this

Customer :

i'm going to look at it agin now

The Home Smithy :

yes. There is a nut on eack end that secures the element into the unit (underneath it just above the wire connections). Remove them and the element is removed from inside the unit.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry I dont have a picture of it.

The Home Smithy :

I can draw you a diagram if you like

Customer :

let me try it before you go throught all of that

The Home Smithy :

Ok.

Customer :

i see the heater, it seems to connect near the back of the unit

Customer :

i'll try to find the nut's

The Home Smithy :

yup it does.

Customer :

what i see are 2 wires

Customer :

one on each side

Customer :

going into long white hex shaped tubes

The Home Smithy :

Yup those are the wires you need to disconnect and then do an ohms test between the two connections.

Customer :

how do i disconnect the wires

The Home Smithy :

The hex tubes should unscrew from the unit. Use a cresent wrench and try turning them Counterclock wise

Customer :

ok i removed the white plastic tubes

Customer :

now should i slide the wire's i found off

The Home Smithy :

Yes

The Home Smithy :

Then you need to do the ohms test

Customer :

ok, just slide the wires off?

The Home Smithy :

Yup they are just spade connectors. You might want to grab the base of the connector with a pair of pliers rather than pulling on the wire. Hate to see you pull the wire out of the connector

Customer :

ok got it off

Customer :

i'll test it now

The Home Smithy :

Ok

Customer :

there seems to be continuity

Customer :

i have to run out for a while. I'll keep this window open and try to connect with you when i get back around 8:30 this evening.

The Home Smithy :

Ok I will not be back on line until tomorrow morning. I too have to go out. i will check back with you in the morning. FYI: if the element is good then the control board, or thermistor is the next thing you need to test. I will get you the tech sheet to work from.

Customer :

great!!! i'll be looking for it tomorrow.

The Home Smithy :

Getting it now. Ill post it here shortly

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the tech sheet. On page 2 about 2/3 of the way down is the diagnostics for the seven flashes error code.

Customer :

The document doesn't help me.

Customer :

all the unit needed was to be reset

Customer :

now something additional is wrong with it

Customer :

because i took it apart

Customer :

at your recommendatino

The Home Smithy :

I am sorry to hear that. Please understand that I cant predict everything, and can only go by the information you provide.

The Home Smithy :

What is/isn't the unit doing?