servicegeek
servicegeek, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been a service tech for over 10 years at a leading service company.
47503688

We have the GE Profile PSS26SGPA. Ovenight the temp in the

Customer Question

We have the GE Profile PSS26SGPA. Ovenight the temp in the refrigator side got hot enough to turn the butter to a liquid, some glass items were hot to the touch. Is this a fire concern in the unit
Category: Appliance
Expert:  servicegeek replied 5 years ago.
Hey i will help you. Open the freezer door and look at the back wall of the freezer. Does it have frost or ice on the back wall? Reply back to me .thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YEs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi David. Are you still working on my question.
Ok, this means you have a defrost problem and this is why the fan cannot circulate any air to cool the unit. You need to use a hair dryer and start melting ice and once the ice is melted you need to remove the rear wall and finish melting the ice.The rear wall is held in place with a few screws. Once you have the ice melted the heater is on the bottom of the coils. These heaters are a common problem. The part number for the heater is #WR51X10042 and retails for around 60 dollars. MAke sure to turn off the fridge while you are melting the ice. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this freezer problem causing the refrigating side to overheat. everything in the freezer was still frozen
It will start to thaw out also because the fan cannot circulate air through the coils. The fan has to push air over to the fridge side.This is why the fridge side is not cooling.Hop this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where do i go to find this part?
You can order it through marcone.com.
This is where i get my parts from. Please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my husband got the back off in the freezer and it is not frozen up

Are the coils cold to the touch? Do you see any ice build up on the coils anywhere? I though you said there was ice on the back wall of the inside freezer? Did you remove the panel on the inside or the panel on the back of the unit?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Removed the inside pannel (back panel inside)exposing the coils. the coils are cold with a little frost on them. The pannel before it was removed had ice droplets frozen to the pannel outside. No ice build up but the coils were cold. When we opened the refrigerator door this am hot air was coming (78)in but the freezer section was cold with no defrosting of the ice maker or the freezer contents.

Did not remove any panals on the outside of the refrigerator.

Ok well this would rule out a defrost issue. I'm sorry i though you get getting a lot of ice on that back panel,but i am glad you took that panel off because that tells me it should be on on that side. The next thing you need to check is to make sure the freezer fan is running. Trip the door switch and leave the freezer door open and do you hear the fan running? IF you hear the fan running the next thing i want you to look at is the damper assembly. Close the freezer door and open the fridge door and put you hand by the top and see if you feel any cold air coming out anywhere out of the vents. The damper should open to let cold air into the fridge side. It looks like on this model it has the damper and a small fan built in to it also. The part number for the damper is #WR49X10091. Reply back to me and let me know what you find. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK freezer fan works but am not getting any cold air out of the refrigerator side. Nothing blowing- sounds like something spinning. Should i let it run for a while? When it was woking seemed like I got a lot of air blowing out the vents-- not now. warm at best. Where is the damper located - on the freezed side or the refirg side.

The damper is in the top part of the fridge side. The part number i gave you will come with the hole plastic assembly and will simply unbolt and plug in.