Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi, Convection fan stopped working last night during a baking

Customer Question

Convection fan stopped working last night during a baking session. It has operated flawlessly up to this time although when I shut it down in the past, I noticed the stove ignitors sparked briefly. I dont know if that was normal or not.This is an older Viking Profesional gas range. What should I check or replace first?
Model no VGRC365-6BD
Many thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the fan itself not working or is the oven just not heating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just the fan. The oven is working fine
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok then it sounds like your convection fan has just gone bad. You'll need to take the fan motor out and check to see if you're getting 120 volts to the fan motor. If you are and the fan isn't running, replace the fan motor. If not, then replace the switch on the control panel that turns the convection fan on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the fan motor accessible from inside the oven or behind? Do you have the correct part numbers as I have no access to breakdown diagrams
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a breakdown for the unit, you'd need to call Viking to order the correct part.

You can test the voltage through the back if you pull the oven out and remove the back panel to test voltage. To replace the fan motor, you open the door remove all the racks and take the back panel off inside the oven and go through the inside of the oven to take out the fan motor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
good luck to you.