The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My whirlpool duet dryer has power but will not tumble or heat.

My whirlpool duet dryer has power but will not tumble or heat. It shut off yesterday and the outside was very hot. Like the moisture sensor was not working and the dryer overheated. Is there a fuse or reset button somewhere?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

I am sorry but there isnt a reset button that will resolve the problem.

The Home Smithy :

I will need the model number of your unit to look this up for you.
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Thank you.

Customer:

WED9200SQ0

The Home Smithy :

Ok thank you. One moment please.

The Home Smithy :

Ok please follow the instructions in the picture below and enter your unit into the diagnostics mode. Please let me know what you come up with.

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will recieve a notice at the top of my screen when you have replied.
Thank you.

Customer:

P:3E

The Home Smithy :

Ok. This is the closest thing I can find in the service manual for the error code you provided.

AN E3 ERROR CODE IS DISPLAYED

An

E3 error code means that there is a user

interface or a software mismatch. It can also

mean that a component on the console electronics,

or the machine control electronics

board has failed.

The Home Smithy :

Did the unit display "88" before the error code? If it didnt then the maiun control board has failed and will need to be replaced. Please let me know if this is the case and I will get you parts and repair information.
Thank you.

Customer:

The door was open when I ran the first test, with the door closed I get 8:88

The Home Smithy :

Ok did the error code also come up?

Customer:

only if I open the door

The Home Smithy :

Ok try this:

1. Set the dryer to the “Diagnostic Test Mode” (refer to the procedure on page 6-1).

2. Open the dryer door.

3. Place a finger across the two metal sensor strips on the lint screen housing. If a

beep tone sounds and “03” is displayed

in the console window, the sensor is working

normally.

Customer:

I get a beep but the display says 2:00

The Home Smithy :

Ok the problem is going to be the thermal fuse. It is located on the blower housing of the unit.
Please click here to order the new thermal fuse kit.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances