Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My freezer is all of a sudden not working. The refrigerator

Customer Question

My freezer is all of a sudden not working. The refrigerator is fine. I vacuumed the condenser and turned on and off the unit but it's still not working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

if your refrigerator is still working, that means that either your fan in your ceiling isn't working anymore, or the compressor is bad, or there is a freon leak. Since you can't test the freon or compressor yourself, it's probably best to check the fan motor. Open the door and push in on the light switches so the refrigerator thinks the door is shut. Do you hear the fan turning on? If so, then you'll need to call a technician to check out the sealed system. If you don't hear a fan, it sounds like your fan motor may have gone bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan does turn on when I push in the light switches. I would assume a freon leak would result in a gradual loss of cooling. A compressor going bad would be immediate? In my case it was immediate. Overnight it just stopped working and ll our food defrosted.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
in general, you would be correct. A leak normally happens over time. You'll need to call a technician either way, but chances are you have a bad compressor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I wish you the best of luck.