Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Help. My digital controlled wall oven door is locked after

Help. My digital controlled wall oven door is 'locked' after unsuccesfully activating the self-clean feature. The wall oven is over 10 year old. The model number is XXXXX (I think the model number is XXXXX somewhere in the interior of the oven)
[email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your oven..Does it seem like it is getting power..(Clock display lights on)..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The oven is getting power. The clock display is on.
First try to restart the self clean..If it does start then cancel it...If this does not unlock the door..You will have to manually unlock the door...Either the computer has failed or the door lock switch itself has failed...Take a round piece of metal stock (Coat hanger)..Make a loop in the end..Fish it between the door and the frame at the door latch..What you are trying to do is catch the hook part of the latch and pull it to the left to open...Let me warn you it is not a easy job to complete...Once the door is open the doorlatch will need to be tested...If it tests ok then this means the computer is faulty...I try to tell my customers not to use the self clean..As the extreme heat damages the computer components.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I cancel the self-clean after re-starting?

Where is the location of the door latch?

Once the oven door is open, how do I test the door latch to determine if it is ok?

Just press the cancel button on the keypad....The door latch is a the center..Of the door..Down about 1.5-2 inches..The latch would need to be tested withs a simple test meter for countinuity..There is a electronic switch on the doorlatch..Which signals the computer that the door is locked ...Unfortunately this is not a simple fix..One of the worst dreaded .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Assuming success, will I damage the computer after forcing the latch open? Also, will the 'door lock' sign go off after the latch is unlocked?

If I never use the self-clean is it necessary to test the latch?

Is the latch on the top or bottom of the oven door? (I am not at home so I cannot inspect the oven during this Q & A)

No..The computer is separate from the door latch..So this did not happen while using the self clean..If not then most likely the doorlatch is the problem...You did not give a model number..On some of the older units..There is a motor located at the back..It has a locking rod running from the back to the doorlatch..If this is the type..Then you would slide the oven out...Remove the back cover..Disconnect the rod..Open the door.Nothing to pry open.