The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 2 yr GE dishwasher....GLD 4900. It is not getting

Customer Question

I have a 2 yr GE dishwasher....GLD 4900. It is not getting water, my flood safe water line keeps tripping. Could the source be the dishwasher or the water line itself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Flood safe lines work on a surge principle. If the water inlet solinoid is causing a surge of water into the unit (sudden opening and closeing) then the hose will have to be replaced with a conventional type supply line.

Customer:

Is this a typical problem with floodsafe lines 2 years old?

The Home Smithy :

One thing that may be causing the flood safe line to kick off is "water hammer" this can be resolved by installing a "water hammer arrestor" You can purchase one at most any hardware store or big box home improvement center

The Home Smithy :

Typical...No not really. the problem is more than likely with the water inlet solinoid of the unit. As they age they tend to close harder and that can trip the flood hose.

Customer:

So my least cost option, is to replace the line with a conventional type supply line as opposed to another floodsafe and if this doesnt work, then would my next step be the solinoid?

The Home Smithy :

The conventional supply line should resolve the problem. If the unit still will not fill then the solinoid is the most likely problem, yes.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help.....wish me luck.....