The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer showing error code F-24

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Please stand by. I am looking this up for you now.
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

This is what the service manual says about the error code:

WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR ERROR

If the water temperature sensor (NTC) value is out of range

(23°F to 217°F [-5°C to 103°C]) during the water-heating step

of the WASH cycle.

NOTE:

To find correct Ohm reading refer to the Water

Temperature Sensor section.

Possible Causes/Procedure

1. Unplug washer or disconnect power.

2. Check the water temperature sensor and connection to it.

3. Check resistance of heating element, if present on this

model. (abnormal = infinity)

4. Refer to the Water Temperature Sensor section.

The Home Smithy :

Please stand by and I will upload the manual for you to work from to do this yourself.

Customer:

This unit is stacked with the dryer on top, do I have to unstack or is there a way to work on this unit without unstacking?

The Home Smithy :

One moment and Ill see. Most likely you will have to remove the dryer to access the failed componant(s)

Customer:

It also started making a noise during the spin cycle and on high speed, sounded like maybe a drive belt going bad. Could this have contributed to the problem by possibly knocking the sensor?

The Home Smithy :

The water temperature sensor is located at the back of the wash tub. You will have to remove the back cover of the unit to get to it. If you can spin the unit around without having to remove the dryer then you can leave the dryer in place

The Home Smithy :

It is possible that the wires going to the sensor were knocked loose. The unit making a lot of noise during the spin cucle may indicate a main bearing going out.

The Home Smithy :

If that is the case then the cost to replace the mani bearings is over $500.00. Unfortunatly to do that repair requires special tools.

The Home Smithy :

The service manual that I am uploading for you covers both repairs. It is a large file so it will be a few minuets to complete the upload.

Customer:

It sounds more like a slapping noise and only on high spin speed, mediunm spin speed sounds normal, that's why I was hoping for maybe a belt problem. Do you know how I keep this info?

The Home Smithy :

Are you referring to this chat session? You can highlight it and then select copy. Paste it to a notepad file.

The Home Smithy :

3 more minuets left on the upload.

Customer:

Yes and also the manuals you are uploading, are the going to my email or on this chat Post, first time I have used something like this.

The Home Smithy :

I will provide you with a link to the manual download here in this chat.

The Home Smithy :

one minuet left on upload

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

The Home Smithy :

You are welcome. =)

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual. Page 4-1 shows the location of the sensor. Testing proceedures are under the tempersature sensor listing in the index.

The Home Smithy :

Would you like a link to purchase the temperature sensor on line?

Customer:

OK, I also have some appliance parts stores locally too.

The Home Smithy :

Ok please give me a minuet.

The Home Smithy :

Having a problem bringing up your model number. Sorry for the wait.

Customer:

I received the manual and saved it to my computer. It looks like it worked OK. That's ok, i'll wait. If it is a problem, let me know and I can check locally also so as not to hold you up any longer. You have been a great help.

The Home Smithy :

Well nutz! I am sorry but I cant find the part. Im sure that your local appliance parts retailers can get it for you. If anything just takethe old one in with you. It should have an OEM number on it

Customer:

Great and thanks for you info and help. I presume I just click accept now?

The Home Smithy :

Yes. Thank you. Please let me know if you have any problems. The link below will bring you back to this question thread.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4xulh-whirlpool-duet-washer-showing-error-code-f-24.html

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances