Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

On a BOSH AQ240FX -it working fine for 4 years. It now ignites,

Customer Question

On a BOSH AQ240FX -it working fine for 4 years. It now ignites, stops - tries again , ignites and stops and water stays cold... but this is intermittent - sometimes ignites and runs flawlessly. Been doing this for about 4 days. What can I do to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.

Craig :

Check the connections on the wiring terminals and push on any wire connectors that plug into the electronic board. This is a good sign, it's intermittent which means it;s a loose connection. Close visual and connections, that's where you'll find it.

Craig :

Take the cover off the front and start poking through the wiring and wiggle connections and tighten them with a screw driver. push the plastic wire connectors on tight. I usually pull them off then push them back on. This 'cleans' the connectors.

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

AS states under already tried - Yes - I did this prior to posting this question. Have you another suggetsion on how I can fix this?

Craig :

Your idea of checking connections may differ from mine. Did you use a screw driver on the terminals and actually 'tug on the wires? I have done this for 33 years and have had many times a wire come right out of the connector in my hand. Did you do this on all wires and connectors?

Craig :

You have a loose connection in the heater

Craig :

Components rarely fail, and then start working again. You have an intermittent and that means something is coming and going

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

Yes - wiggled all and pulled and pushed. everthing was 'connector based' so no screw terminals.

Craig :

What about the main board? There are terminals and wires to check

Craig :

Does anything look hot? Discolored?

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

No discoloration - all connections to the mainboard are pinbased. Pulled all off and reseated....

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

Pulled all off and reseated. Everything is pin based.

Craig :

Could be a possible cracked solder joint. Get it started then push on the electronic board with a pencil eraser to 'flex' the board. See if it drops out ...

Craig :

It's an old trick of mine to find cracked solder joints..

Craig :

When the board heats up, they can open. Then cool down and be good again.

Craig :

Seen this before..

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

This does not seem to impact it. It appears the reseating I did last week has quelled the issue as it has not resurfaced since then. i had posed this question to see if there may have been another cause.

Craig :

Good to hear. I suspected a loose connection. I would tend to think it's gone if you haven't seem it again.

Craig :

"seen it again"

Craig :

These connectors do get loose from thermal expansion and can affect low voltage connections.

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

Thank you but I already had the same knowledge you were presenting. I do appreciate your effort and woul dbe happy to provide positive feedback.

Craig :

So are you saying you don't want to pay the price you agreed to? For my help? I did walk you through the issues...

Craig :

Don't forget, it wasn't working when we started on this question, it's now working...

Craig :

I have that affect on things whether you believe that or not, it's true. I had you do a few little things that you didn't know about.

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

No - sorry - i did not do ANYTHING since talking with you since I had already done everything you mentioned BEFRE talking to you. I do , however appreciate your eddort and would be willing to offer positive feedback for your professionalism and spped of responses.

Craig :

Well, do what you feel is fair. I'm not going to justify my answers to you. Sorry you feel that way.

Craig :

As I mentioned, you came here for some help, water heater not working, your water heater is now running. See anything here?

JACUSTOMER-a5hewra3- :

I do not understand why you feel you deserve credit/payment for unapplied advice. Its like me saying to you - take THIS pill and you'll be well and you get well without taking the pill - do I get credit for your health? -- I think not. But I did (not sure I do so much now) have appreciation for your initial professionalism and courteousness. Thank you for your offer to help.

Craig :

Goodbye