Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I own a Maytag MSD2756GE that my wife and I had purchased in

Customer Question

I own a Maytag MSD2756GE that my wife and I had purchased in January of 2002. I noticed this morning that the refrigerator is not keeping items contained in its area chilled and our freezer is not maintaining its temps as well and items were starting to thaw. Either the compressor or fan motor continuously runs from the freezer side and the vent that directs cold air into the refrigerator area did not show cold air flowing from it. There is also water dripping through the seal on the bottom of the freezer door onto the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 6 years ago.

Open the freezer door and look on the lower back panel. Do you see a layer of frost?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We turned it completely off about two hours ago, removed all items and now noticed there is.
Ok good. You have a defrost issue friend. The freezer cools the fresh food section. The most common issue on this unit is the adc. The adc is the defrost control and is located in the refrigerator section. If you have a volt meter you can ohm the cal rod heater and defrost thermostat located in the freezer. If both have resisence then the adc is bad.

I can provide a link where you can purchase the part.

Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have an idea of where those two items are located. When I removed the cover that directed the flow of cold air into the fridge side, I noticed a coil housed within the cover. I am guessing this is the defrost thermostat you are referring to.

Can you pinpoint where the cal rod heater is located within the fridge?
The thermostat and heater are both behind the back panel in the freezer section. Two 1/4 screws hold the panel in place. You will need to defrost the coils to get to the thermo and heater. The heater is around the evaporator.

Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I accessed the panel where you stated and the coils and wires have a thick coating of ice/frost. Will let it thaw and have it drip into the drain area just below. I will have to wait to test both items to see if there is resistance being read. If resistance is displayed, how difficult is it to replace the ADC?
It's a straight forward repair. The plastic housing slides forward and out. The assembly is held to the ceiling with five screws. four through the top and one in the back.

The adc has a plug and play connection. The repair is straight forward friend.

Let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What colored wires for the thermostat and cal rod heater do I need to check. Will I need to unplug the fridge to conduct this test. I am a layman when it comes to electrical and electronics. To help, I am attaching a photo of what I see. Hopefully you should be able to receive it.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Picture did not come through. The thermostat is the little round device with two wires that connect to it. I believe the wires on the thermostat are white. Follow one wire over to the heater. The heater connection is on the left and has two wires that connect to it.

Yes the unit needs to be unplugged to make these test accurately and safely.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I pulled off the connector that has three prongs. Two of those connect the thermostat wire and another that has black shielding that runs down into and along side the coils. I checked the resistance in all three prongs with the meter leads and it showed zero's. I then plugged the fridge back in and adjusted the temperature. I now feel cool air starting to flow back into the fridge side, but it wasn't doing that earlier.

I may as a precaution go ahead and replace the adc based on the age of the fridge now as well as the high use my family of five has put it through.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you send me the link for the part that you mentioned earlier?
Yes no problem. It's the most common issue on this refrigerator. You can purchase the part from the link below.

ADC Link