Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I relocated a hotpoint refrigerator model HTF16bbmbrww from

I relocated a hotpoint refrigerator model HTF16bbmbrww from one house to another. Its a few years old maybe 8 or 9yrs. was working fine at old house. We slid it gentley on its side down short flight of indoor steps and rotated it very carefuly and slowly from bottom to top and from top to bottom (the refrigerator was upside down for about 20-30 seconds), we carefully lowered it on it's side into the back of my truck. I drove about 20 min - 30 min to new location and carfully rolled it into place and let it set over night unpluged. went in to plug it up and put selector on 9 (coldest) it run about 1hr ..did not seem to be getting cold enough then the compressor and fan stop, I took a screw driver and turned in hole slot near the light bulb area and then the compressor and fan came back on.

I'm looking for a way make it get colder, I don't have a manual and I'm a little puzzel wether there is a major issue. Can you help geve me some insite?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Have you checked the fan in the rear? Can you find any area on the rear wall of the freezer that is cold?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THE fan was running and there was cold air blowing from the top freezer and cold air blowing from the bottom frig I'm not sure if it is cold enough and I,m also wondering if having it upside down for about 30 second had any affect on it. I think I felt the back freezer panel getting a little cold.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats not likely if the compresor is operating. Usually what happens when you do that the capillary tube which is very small becomes clogged with debris and the compressor then builds too much pressure and shuts down. This would be indicated by a click every 4 minutes or about that. And a very hot compressor.

Go around behind the refrigerator and remove the lower panel. Touch the top of the compressor. Can you keep your hand on it? And the fan back there is operating?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not where the regrigerator is right now. It was running when I left the other location earlier.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I see, ok this is what to do. Take some handtools with you. Touch the compressor check the fans. If the compressor is warm or uncomfortable to hold your hand on thats ok as long as it is not so hot that you cannot hold your hand on it or cold and not vibrating.

If the two fans are operating and the compressor is vibrating but the freezer is not cold you will need to remove the rear "inside" freezer panel and take a look at the coils in there. Every coil in there should be lightly frosted. If they are not and everything is operating and has been more than an hour there is a freon leak.

If you find something I have not described to you in the checks that need to be made or if I have not explained something well please let me know.
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.