Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My freezer is making gurgling noise! I took off grill and

My freezer is making gurgling noise! I took off grill and found pan filed with water and then when I close the door it is trying to suck the water out. SHould I just soak up all the water with a towel?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

The water you are seeing is that water in a U shaped pipe? And does the gurgling happen when the door opens or closes? Also is that pan full to the top or close?

Turn the water supply off to the refrigerator now. I will wait.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the water is in a rectangular metal 1 inch deep pan in a built in Sub zero freezer. I do not know where the water shut off is but I can turn house water off! The gurgling is when the door shuts and there is a hose in teh back of the pan that appears to be trying to suck water out
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thats too much water. Yes you better turn the water off. Give me a shout when you get a chance. I have planned to be here a while so please no rush to get back to me. Then we will find where the water is coming from.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok... Water going off and I will reach back to you in 30 minutes!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
That will be fine. i will be here.
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok back.. next steps please?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Take a look at the ice maker and the ice bin. Are those full of water? If yes take a look at the position of the ice maker blades that rotate and close the freezer for a few seconds. Open the freezer. Has the ice maker moved?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ice maker not hooked up.. no ice bin
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Wow, do you have any other water in your fridge? Dispenser or a filter?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I did not know the ice maker was not hooked up. You can turn your water back on.

What has happened is a door was left open, maybe just a crack but open. The air thats in your home was pulled into the cold coils that air circulates through. This can turn into a lot of frost in a hour. The refrigerator goes through a defrost cycle every 8 hours. It has had more than the normal amount of frost on the coils and overfilled the drain pan underneath. You should take some towels to get some of the water out but you do not have to get it all. Normally the water that defrosts sits in the pan and evaporates. There was more to defrost than normal so the pan has a lot of water in it.

If you have questions please ask,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.