John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a GE refrigerator that is about 10 years old. The issue

I have a GE refrigerator that is about 10 years old. The issue I have is the freezer and the fridge is about 40 degrees. I will turn off the freezer and I will here something ( probably the fan) shut off. I wait for about 30 mins and turn the freezer back on, and then it freezes again, but maybe a day later it will do the same thing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the cooling problem.

The metal between the two doors tell me if its warmer than usual please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is warm but I beleive it is because the tempreture is only 40 degrees.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Its warm because the coils under the fridge are dirty or the fan motor by the compressor isn't going, pull the fridge out and remove the bottom panel and clean the coils it should fix the problem.

if you require more assistance let me know please,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but why would shutting off the freezer and turning it back on allow it to work for a period of time?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

It gives the compressor a chance to cool off thats why it works for a short time .

The coils should be cleaned at least one a year for proper operation.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

The number 730 is the condenser to keep clean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I will except your answer, but I just remembered what could be another symptom. in the past 3 months this has happened, but the last time was about a month ago. My ability to have water to dispense was gone. I could get ice, but no water. then all by itself maybe a few days later or more, it would start working on its own. I just want to give you all the info I have about the freezer.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
The water reservoir can freeze up and when the fridge part gets warm the reservoir thaws and allows the water to flow again the reservoir is located at the bottom in the fridge side behind the crisper's.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.