John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE Profile top load washer leaks underneath after it has

Customer Question

My GE Profile top load washer leaks underneath after it has stopped washing. It only happens sometimes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

Does it leak on the low water level load ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. As I mentioned, it does not leak every time. Also, it leaks after it has finished washing. I sense the tub is not emptying completely in the rinse cycle.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
The washer has an overflow tube to the left of the outside tub at your 10 o'clock the water will leak from that tube on a high water level because the tub spins slowly as its agitating the spring is broken at the transmission the only way to solve that problem is to replace the transmission.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

GE plastic wash tub style washer help....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Always remember Electricity is dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Please pick a topic by Make and or problem...hope you find this helpful :-)

1. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat ,McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - how to access the washers working parts

2. Slide show for accessing the newer style GE washer

3. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - common problems...like pumping, noises, leaks, spinning and washing at same time....etc.

4. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary, RCA ) newer style washer - how to change the transmission, access the consol, timer, fill valve, how to remove the inner basket.

5. GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat , McClary, RCA ) new style washer diagnostic chart - from American appliance

6. GE newer style washer agitator - how to remove the agitator

7. GE newer style washer - agitator won't agitate

8. GE newer style washer - changing the transmission repair aid

9. GE newer style washer - my agitator keeps popping up

10. GE newer style washer roars like a "freight train" in the spin mode

11. GE washer making a load cluck noise when the spin cycle starts

12. GE newer style washer - the circuit board behind the timer assembly

13. GE newer style washer - the motor wires are burnt, how do I fix this?

14. GE newer style washer - magnetic lid switch

15. GE style washer - The timer knob will not turn the timer Both old and newer style

16. How to prevent socks and such from getting into your pump

17. Important disclaimer

18. My washer has a funky odor

19. My washer will not agitate

20. Ohm testing an capacitor

21. Slow filling and no cold or hot fills

22. Would my rubber fill hoses ever burst?

GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat ,McClary ) new style washer: disconnect power first In approx. 1995 GE stopped making the metal drum washer and came out with a new plastic drum washer and plastic outer tank. To access the washer there are a couple clips between the top of the washer and the front panel that holds the panel on. There is one on each side at about where the pictures show. The clips are mounted on the cabinet and push down into slots on the front panel. Press in on these clips with a putty knife ( you will be pushing inward on the clip) and pull the top of the panel away from the cabinet when the clips are released. The bottom of the panel sits on a couple clips on the bottom of the washer. Pull out on the panel and lift off the clips at the bottom. You now have access to the operating components of this washer. To remove the top panel, remove the bleach from the top panel and remove the two 1/4" drive screws from the top front of the washer and lift up and forward on the top panel. You will have to unclip the wire harness ( male-female wire connector ) for the lid switch.

A tip from Ron ( reference model WCSR4170D0WW )

I found your website useful today to repair my GE washer. When the machine entered the drain/spin cycle there was a loud buzzing noise and the machine would not drain. I am the type of person who likes to at least try to make repairs before calling in the professional, and your site was just what I needed to complete the repair in less than an hour.

The pictures on your site were very helpful to help me get the front off and access to the working parts. Your advice about the turning the pump motor to see if it was stuck was excellent because it had very little play and I could tell something was jamming it ( newer pumps no longer have a fan blade we can manually turn like the original one did ). I expected to find one of my young daughter's socks but it was actually a straightened out paper clip that I had probably left in my pants pocket some time ago after using it to unlock a bathroom door.
I would suggest the following additional advice in that section if you agree.

1. An old credit card works fine to remove the front door and access the working parts if you don't have a putty knife handy.
2. If you have a jammed pump you probably also have a washer full of clothes and dirty water. I fished out the clothes and used a short hose to siphon the remaining water down to the bottom of the tub.
3. I removed the pump assembly by detaching the black and white power wires, remembering which was black and which was white. Then I removed the two hex screws that attach the pump assembly to the frame. I put a bucket under the pump assembly before removing the smaller hose, and the remaining water, about 1 or 2 quarts, drained into the bucket. I then removed the larger hose to find the paperclip and some other debris which I removed.

4. After reassembly, I finished my wash. I left the front panel off through the next cycle so I could check if there was any leaking from the re-attached hoses before closing it up for good.

GE ( Hotpoint, Moffat, McClary ) new style washer - common problems: The most common problems with this washer has been the leaking problems. If you access the washer and see water stains on the back left of the base or you actually see water coming out of the over flow tube you have a transmission problem. What happens is the brake does not hold the tub still during the agitation mode and the tub spins and agitates at the same time. The transmission ( #320 in the picture ) will have to be replaced, there is a kit available to repair the brake in the transmission but I have found this to be much less reliable than replacing the whole transmission. If you see water leaking down the middle of the washer you will probably need a new tub seal ( # 311 ) and possibly a new transmission as the leaking water damages the spin bearing in the transmission. The bleach applicator hose has also been known the rub through and leaking water as well.

If you see water leaking out the over flow pipe, often the transmission is spinning and agitating at the same time, check for this by watching the agitation cycle to see if the inner basket is taking off and spinning = need a new transmission. You can use a pop cycle stick to activate the lid switch to run the washer with the lid open/up ( for testing only!! ) A step by step room on "how to" change the transmission.

If you see water here....

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
you will need to see the links above

for heres more info on the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John,

I have seen the tube. The water is not leaking from there. Also, it is leaking only after it stops. There is no water in the tray. The washer works fine through all the cycles and at all loads. I do not think it is a transmission problem.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

If its leaking when its finished it could be leaking from the water valve it cant be from the water pump or the drain hose .

Check the water valve.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John,

There is absolutely no water in the tray. No leakage from the pump or the drain hoses from the tub to the pump and from pump to the drain. I do see that all the water has not been drained from the drain hose.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

The drain hose is corrugated plastic and they can get a very small pin hole in the drain hose , I would check that .

Its hard to pinpoint a problem like that.

You have the front off and cant see the leak .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I have the front panel off. I can feel and see all the hoses and the pump. If the hole is in the corrugated drain hose, I would think the water would spray out like crazy when the wahser is in the rinse cycle and draining the water out. Would you agree?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do agree , you have the front off and cant see the leak you should see traces of a leak on the bottom plate . check the taps the hot and cold water.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

I checked the taps first. They are fine, Also, if it were the tap, it would be leaking all the time and would be easier to troubleshoot and fix.

By the way, should there be any water in the tub or drain hose after the washer has finished the job? I would not think so.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Yes there is some water in the drain hose it cant run dry .

You will have to wash a few loads with the front panel off till you see it leaking.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John,

I have done several loads (different sizes) with the front panel off. No leak during the wash. The water leaks only after it has finished the load. Also, no water in the tray, only under the washer. I suspect it from the joint where the drain hose is connected in the back. I am planning to take the hose out tomorrow and put some plumber's tape to make it a tight connection and see if it stops the leak. I appreciate your help.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If its from under the washer to the right it could be just a loose clamp at the drain hose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No John. The clamp is as tight as it can be. There are two bolts that secure the hose to the back panel. Considering the hose connector just slides in, I am not sure if it makes a tight connection and the water may leak out especially if there is a standing water in the hose. That is what I would think.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Replace that clamp with a jubilee clamp one you can tighten with a screwdriver that should fix the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John,

I will try it in a few days. It has been nice chatting with you. If it fixes the problem, I will surely authorize the payment considering you have spent some time. To be honest, it feels like I have been the one who is logically troubleshooting the issue. How do i come back to authorize the payment?

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

You log back on and push the Accept button .

Finding a leak that only sometimes leaks is a bit difficult.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks John. I agree. The intermittent problems like this are not easy to troubleshoot and it does not make sense to replace the washer. Also being an engineer with two masters, it is sometimes a personal pride to fix it yourself. By the way, as you may have noticed, I have already tried quite a few things.

Wish you the very best. Have a wonderful evening.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
And you as well, have a great night.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, as you can see from the thread, the answers are not what I expected and not helping solve the problem. I am going to try a few things on my own over the weekend and see if they work.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

A leak from the washer cant be that difficult to find a simple clamp is probably the problem don't look for something more difficult .

Good luck on the week-end.

let me know what you find please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I will update you.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
ok, talk then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John,

The root cause of the problem was the drain under the washer backing up. It was not the leak from the washer. Since it happened only when sump pump and washer drained at the same time in the 2" pipe, the volume of water was too much for the pipe to handle. There might have been a small clog also. I have solved the problem. Thanks for your attempt to address the problem.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Glad its fifed up.