Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE microwave has the white finish/paint blistering and peeling

My GE microwave has the white finish/paint blistering and peeling in the bottom. Is it still safe to use or do I need to dispose of it and purchase another. Since I've never had this happen in all the times I've used a microwave, can you tell me what might have caused the problem? I suspect that our cleaning lady may have scrubbed it with something rough or could have used a harsh chemical cleaner, but she hasn't admitted doing that. HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Chances are if the paint is just bubbling up, the unit just wasn't prepped correclty at the factory. If it's scrapped or worn thin, then perhaps the cleaning lady did it? Either way, if metal is exposed, I wouldn't use your oven. You need to sand down the blistering and chipped paint as best as you can, then spray the chipped area with microwave cavity paint. Below is a link to the paint you'd want to use.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, this isn't an expensive appliance......maybe $60 at most and 2 or 3 years old. Would it just be better to purchase another appliance? Maybe less expensive in the long run.....what do you think?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
If it's just $60, I would definitely say it's probably best to just go ahead and replace the unit. These cheaper countop appliances are designed to be throw-away appliances for the most part.