Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

My Danby Designer Wine Cooler is not cooling.

Customer Question

My Danby Designer Wine Cooler is not cooling. It is model no. DWC283BLS-1. Serial No. 0906040100460. It is installed in our kitchen center island and has not worked since we moved into the house last July. It is receiving power. Lights are on. It does not cool.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The first thing you should try is unplugging the unit for a few minuets and then plug it back in. If that doesnt resolve the problem then I am sorry but there isnt any documentation available for you to work from. The best suggestion I can make in that case would be to contact the manufacturer for service.

Please let me know if you would like the contact information for Danby repair service.

Thank you.

NOTE: I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don't want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This answer is certainly not worth $36. I consider it unacceptable and opt not to pay.

I understand completely, and do not expect you to accept my answer.

The problem with Danby units is they do not publish any tech manuals for their units. all of the knowledge to repair their units, as well as the parts information, is kept "in house", and only authorized service centers have access to it.

You may request a refund of your deposit by sending an e-mail to info@justanswer.com.

Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is Tom and i will be helping you today with your problem.
Hi maybe I can help you can you tell me if the fan inside the unit is working ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan,

I do not think the fan is working. I just read the reviews on the Danby DWC283BLS-1. Basicly they say it is a piece of junk. So far I have been unable to find a technician to come and work on it in Kirkland, WA. I am wondering what piece of advice you can give me that is possibly worth $36? I am thinking that if you can find a suitable replacement that will fit in the 33 3/16" x 19 3/16" x 23 5/16" hole that the Danby has in my kitchen island that would be worth the fee. Also I need your recommendation for a high quality replacement that will have service available in the Kirkland Washington area.

Thanks,

Phil Smiley

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Ok if the fan is not working then the compressor is probably not working. So the problem is a temp sensor or the control board. As for finding somebody to work on it you need to call the manufacturer. If you would like to replace it Which is probably more cost effective I own a G.E which are very good units. And they have service techs everywhere.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tom,

Danby is unresponsive so far. It is a Danby Designer cooler. It is 19 3/16" wide, 33 3/16" high, and 23 5/16" deep. I am open to either a repair or replacement. Please identify a good replacement and source and I will be happy.

Phil

Would this fit 20 1/8 in x 33 1/2 in x 22 3/4
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tom,

I think I could make that fit. What is the make & model. What are the sources for it?

Thanks,

Phil

It is a G.E this is the model # PWR04FANBS
I need your zip code to find a retailer near you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My zip is 98033. I live in Kirkland, WA.

Thanks,

Phil Smiley

This is the closest place to your zip code I can find.
FREDERICK'S APPL CENTER
13631 Ne 126h Place #400
Kirkland , WA 98034
425 - 885 - 0000 3.7 miles