S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have laid down my newer model whirlpool stackable washer/dryer

I have laid down my newer model whirlpool stackable washer/dryer (gas) for moving for about 1 hr. I noticed it has leaked about a grapefruit size puddle of oil out of the gearbox . What is the capacity of oil? And am I safe to run it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. This is common. It will not hurt anything.

S.E.Thomas :

the case holds a little over a quart.

Customer:

I was worried because it is almost new .Thank You! I also was wondering about my 2 yr old kitchenaid dishwasher when the house was new It ran a whole cycle without the water on it still worls but is really loud. is it shot?

S.E.Thomas :

running it with no water will not make it noiser. sometimes it can cause the element to melt the tub but that is a rare case also and it would leak if this happened.

Customer:

It is a stainless tub. but it won't hurt it to run will it?

S.E.Thomas :

No. if it is getting noisier there may be something in the grinder. this will eventually be ground up and go out the drain. The grinders in the newer dishwashers are not like the old ones were. The new ones take a while to grind things like seeds and such.

Customer:

Shaun you are awesome! Thanks so much for the help!!