Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag Gemini gas stove started smoking under the control

Customer Question

My Maytag Gemini gas stove started smoking under the control knobs. I turned it off and now the electric ignition no longer works. I can use the burners if I light them with a match.
I can not figure how to get the top open to find out the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You'll need to order the switch assembly that goes to the knobs under the top panel in order to fix the issue. To access, remove all the burner grates and burner caps. Remove all the screws going into the burner bases. Pull all the knobs off and open the oven door. There are 2 screws coming in from underneath the front lip of the top panel. Remove these screws and then the top panel will hinge up and backwards so you can replace the ignition switch kit.