Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a stackable Sears Kenmore Washer/dryer unit model 417,

I have a stackable Sears Kenmore Washer/dryer unit model 417, 90872990. The washer stopped working when I washed a small thick rug. It stopped in the middle of the rinse cycle. It will not go to spin. I smelled a hot smokey smell and now it will not agitat. It will only fill up with water. No other cycle works. Did I burn out the motor and if so, how much including service would this cost?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The unit will not even attempt to spin if it can't drain and since you washed a rug in the washer (you shouldn't do that of course--it should be brought to a laundry mat), the drain pump or hose between the tub and drain pump is now clogged and will need to be cleaned out. Remove the screws at the bottom of the front panel and remove the front panel. Now you have access to the drain pump and pump. Be careful and make sure to unplug the washer first because when you disconnect the hose, all the water in the tub will come pouring out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I am glad to know that I do not need a new one. I will be using your services again.