Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.

Need help troubloeshooting clothes dryer. its a 15 yr old

Need help troubloeshooting clothes dryer.

it's a 15 yr old Whirlpool front load dryer.

In the past we've replaced the two switches inside the back. I think one was a high limit switch and the other might have been a heat switch. They are both flat (about the size of a silver dollar) and attach with 2 screws and have 2 or 3 wires going to them.

My wife says a load of clothes is taking twice as long as normal to dry.

With it empty, I ran it 10 minutes and used an infrared thermometer and the inside was 125 degrees and the top of the unit felt warm.

Is this normal or do we need to replace the switches? Thanks
Hi Sir or Madam, Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

When a dryer overheats like that the most common cause is a restricted vent. The best way to check that is to disconnect the vent at the back of the dryer and try drying a load. If it dries fine then you have a restriction in your venting. If it still does the same thing, check your front and rear drum seals and make sure they are all intact.

Post back to here after trying that and I can help you more.