Alan
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.
11470909

my daughter ran the microwave for 25 minutes and then it just

Customer Question

my daughter ran the microwave for 25 minutes and then it just stopped working. I check all breakers, held off button for 10 seconds, unplugged it for 30 seconds then plugged back in. Checked breaker box to see if it tripped. Nothing has worked any suggestions or insight to what may be wrong. GE Profile Stainless, about 6 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

The problem will be a thermo fuse has blown and needs to be replaced. If you have an ohm meter you can take the cover off and check them. However there can be very high voltage present in some of the components, so you need to be very careful. If you can get me the model number I can get you more info.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Spacemaker XL 1800
Model # XXXXX
Can I go to an appliance store get this part and install myself?
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.

Yes you can get this part at the appliance parts store and do it yourself. There are 3 or 4 thermo fuses in this model. They look like the one pictured here.

Magnetron thermal tco (1509/60) WB27X10166 Part

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would I need to replace all 4? What approximately is the price? Are they easy to access? What panel do I take off to access the fuse area?
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.

I doubt all 4 would be bad, but you would need to see which ones have continuity. It looks like they range from 9 to 50 dollars. You will need to take the microwave down first and then take off the outer cover, which is # XXXXX in this picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Allen, how do I remove the microwave from the overhead space? Is it failrly simple or is it a mess to get to this area where the fuses are. Is there a way to check to see what fuses are bad before I go to purchase the new ones?
Expert:  Alan replied 3 years ago.
It is a two or three person job to take the microwave down. There will be two screws you need to remove then go through the bottom of the cabinet above and into the microwave. Once those are removed the microwave will tilt forward and then you have to lift it off a lip in the back.
To check the fuse take the wires off of them and use an ohm meter to check for continuity. Or you can take them to the appliance parts store and they should be able to check them. Just mark where they go and where the wires hook up.
Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years in the appliance repair field.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Allan,

Can you tell me what numbers in the diagram are fuses? I clearly see two of theat are marked as # 73 in the diagram, but do not see any others.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i may be confused, the fuses i do see are about 1.25 inches long and are tubular. they are imprinted on the unit that say "Main Fuse and HTV Fuse" but look nothing like what you sent to me as an image,. this is the first time i have an opportunity to try to do this.