Jason, Electrician
Experience:  20+ years experience in all phases of electrical installations and repairs

My Hampton Bay ceiling fan wont shut off and is staying on

Customer Question

My Hampton Bay ceiling fan won't shut off and is staying on the "hi" mode. It is not hardwired and is operated entirely by the remote. There was a thunder and lightning storm last night so I don't know if that may have effected it. I put in a new 9V battery but no luck.I submitted my question earlier but your site didn't accept my Visa...Wes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

Hi Wes. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Your fan has an electronic receiver inside of it, which receives signals from the handheld remote to control the fan and light. The receivers are particularly sensitive, and they don't do well with lightning. The Hampton Bay receivers fail frequently, and Home Depot is not able to source the parts. They are the exclusive retailer for Hampton Bay products, but our customers report that parts are not available through them.

Our customers have also told us that it is nearly impossible to get in touch with Hampton Bay themselves. That being the case, I would try to source the new receiver from one of two other sources. Lowe's stocks a "universal" remote and receiver kit, which is made by Harbor Breeze. If you would like to see a link to the Lowe's product page, let me know. The other source is They stock practically every part for essentially every ceiling fan ever made. They seem to be a pretty popular choice with our customers.

If you find that you need more help, please let me know.