Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

how do you change a hub seal

how do you change a hub seal
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Do you have a make and model number? I'm gathering this is a top load machine is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how to remove agitator
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mod# XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
how old is this machine? the model # XXXXX longer comes up. I think your looking to replace the boot seal on the tub though correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about 25 yrs
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay do you have the tub seal already? The first thing you need to do is pull the agitator out which can be really hard on these machines if it's old like yours, sometimes you need a special tool get these off, once the agitator is out there will 4 bolts holding the inner tub in, you need to pop the top of the machine seeking get this inner tub out, I can't find your exact model number because it's 25 years old they take them out of the computer systems, but you need to remove the inner tub and below that will be your tub boot. There are large water hose clamps holding this onto the outer tub and the transmission, they have 1/4" nutdriver bolts, you need to loosen those and pull them out, is just just leaking? A lot of times these clamps will rust and break and let the machine leak, you may just need to replace the clampsheres is the only diagram I can find close to your, you need to unscrew the cap # XXXXX on the diagram and then pull the agitator off, t5his is one of the hardest agitators to pull off however, , the clamps are # XXXXX and 308 on the diagram, the boot seal is # XXXXX hope this info helps, thanks Bryan