John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

The dial to start my dishwasher (GSD550 TBW) wont turn without

The dial to start my dishwasher (GSD550 TBW) won't turn without forcing it.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

The easy repair for this problem is to remove the dial and use this spray cleaner all you do is spray down the shaft this will loosen the shaft going into the timer and will make it easy to turn once again.

If you require more assistance let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I just pry the dial off carefully with a flat-head screwdriver?
Yes gently pull the knob off then spray the shaft the cleaner will run into the bearing and free it up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All is well except that the knob would not pull off "gently" and I broke an inside part of it. Now the knob falls to the floor when the door is opened.

I have searched the web for a replacement knob, but all sites say it is no longer manufactured or available. Do you know of an acceptable substitute? The knob is shown as "No. 910" in all drawings for my GE Model GSD550T-60BW. (Other model nos. shown on the door panel of my machine are GSD680TWW and GSD650TBA/WB, but drawing part #910 is shown on both of those too.)

What other timer knob could I order that would work? The machine is too good to replace merely for a knob!
Im sure if you took the knob to an appliance parts store near you they would be able to match yous up .