Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a side by side GE Arctica. Local power in my neighborhood

Customer Question

I have a side by side GE Arctica. Local power in my neighborhood went out two days ago, and since then both the freezer and fridge are not maintaining cold temps. Fridge and Freezer are set at 9, and the ice in the bin is melting, while the fridge temps are around 50F.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good morning, what has happened is your main control board has failed, this is extremely common on these refrigerators, this is the main control board, unfortunately you will need to replace it, this is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall there will be an 8 x 10" cover and the control board is behind that cover, you can order this at the following link if you wish, the part number is XXXXX you can order it at this link or if you have appliance parts store near you they will have this, we replace a lot of these, GE has also had to redesigned these four times because of failure but when you get a power outage this is a definite contribution to the failure, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/1531075?modelNumber=PSS23LSSASS most likely if you pull that board out and flip it over and check the other side you will find a burn mark on the board on one of the solder connections, however this is not always the case sometimes the computer-chip on it fails, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pulled the board, no burn marks. still replaced it. still not cooling. fridge is at 50 F and freezer is at 40 F. interior fans are working.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had the new board in? How many hours has been up and running? This could take up to 24 hours to restabilize, do you notice any Frost on the back panel behind the food in the freezer section?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Called a professional. Bad heater board needed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay, you must have had a power surge when the power came back on, it went through the system. thanks Bryan