Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

maytag dishwasher start light blinking constant....does not

Customer Question

maytag dishwasher start light blinking constant....does not respond to resume or cancel...light still blinks when being power turned back on after power has been turned off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the start light does no turn solid when you press the start button, then you just have a faulty control panel start switch. You'll need to order and replace the control panel again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was afraid you would say that, but this is getting rediculus. How can the control panel go bad AGAIN, this time with different symptoms? There has got to be something causing this doesnt there?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no, I wouldn't say there is anything causing this except that this unit tends to have a lot of failures in general with the touchpad. I've personally replaced close to 100 of these touchpads---it's just not a great design.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At $80 a pop, how many times do I change this part before I just by a new dishwasher. That won't be a Maytag.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That's hard to say. In general, I find that they typically last about 2 years or so if used regularly so which you determine that it's getting too expensive for the cost of the machine, I'd just replace it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It has only been 2 months since I change it. Shouldn't that component be under some kind of warranty?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
It should be under a 90 day warranty by the manufacturer, yes. You'll need to contact whoever you got the part from
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just happend to still have the old control panel. I just switched them and the light no longer blinks, but it will not turn on. There is lights and a responce from the cycle button, but no response the start button. Any ideas now? Sounds like maybe the door switch?

The reason the panel was changed last time is because the soap dispenser quit opening during the cycle. So I know that the old panel should still allow the dishwasher to start up.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no, the control panel still needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, but that does not make much sense. The old one was working in the sense that the dishwasher operated and ran a cycle. It should still do that when I put the part back in right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
nope, there is no guarantee of that at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Answer was not accurate. I replaced the part in question with the old one that was already replaced (for other reasons, but still operated the dishwasher) and still did not work. I was told to replace that part, which clearly cannot be the issue.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
You need to replace the touchpad with a NEW touchpad as stated before.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please describe the difference between control panel and touchpad. First you stated control panel, now you are saying touchpad?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
they are one in the same, it's the same part.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the part that everything plugs into? (grey box)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
That is the control board.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there any way to physically test this part? Continuity or voltage checks?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no there is not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how can i assure this component is bad and i am not wasting money? Sorry, I just am tired of dumping money in this thing.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
you can't, you just need to replace the part as I stated before several times.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i make sure the door switch checks out? what should the resistance be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I already told you that isn't the problem. You'll need to start another question to ask a different question as I've responded to you 10 times telling you what to replace from the very beginning and you aren't even listening to what I'm saying. It also appears you asked a question in the past and did the same thing without accepting.

Have a nice day and good luck.