Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our freezer is making really loud noises. We just moved into

Our freezer is making really loud noises. We just moved into this home and the icemaker is missing some parts. So, I think it is the icemaker trying to run and having problems. I can't figure out how to turn it off. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Do you have a model number? And make?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would it be?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If you open the refrigerator door and look on the side walls or the ceiling for a tag with the model number on it, if it's an older unit it could be behind the bottom grill under the doors, let me know if you find it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ktrs20m superba
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what kind of a noise is it? Does it sound like it could possibly be a fan hitting something? Is it a constant racket?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it sounds thunky - like it is making ice. It comes on and off, but yesterday it was consistently coming on and off the entire day. If I place my hand on the back wall of the freezer I can feel it vibrating where the noise is coming from.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay it's most likely not the icemaker it's most likely the evaporator fan,if the noise is coming from the back wall this is what it is, you will need to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food to access this, it's going to be one of two things when you get the panel off, either there is a lot of Frost and ice around the fan in the fan is hitting it or the fan is bad, you will need to take the back panel off behind the food inside the freezer to see, this will require removing the icemaker anyway, there are two screws the icemaker hangs on that go into the side wall of the freezer and usually one on the bottom of the icemaker going into the side wall of the freezer you will need to remove those and then the icemaker will come down and you can unplug it, this is a top view of your icemaker, you can see the ToolBook parts of the screws go through at the top of the picture with the ice cubes are made, please make sure you unplug the refrigerator before doing anything, once you have the icemaker out remove the back panel and take a look, let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if the fan is bad? Can I go buy the part somewhere?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes I'm sorry, I had to go out, you can purchase the part at the following link, thanks and let me know if this takes care of it, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the fan something we can replace on our own - is it fairly easy to figure out? Also, the sound is more like an engine trying to rev, rather than a clunk. But it does come on and off. Sometimes it makes the sound consistently for a long time and other times it will go a while before it does it. We took the back panel off and the fan looks like it is running fine. There also is hardly any frost at all, so I don't think it is clunking on ice. We really want to fix this on our own, so I just wanted to make sure I know what I am doing. Is there any other possible problem that would cause that noise?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can replace this yourself and these fans can sometimes run good and then start making a lot of noise the best way to tell is leave the icemaker out and listen for a while and the noise returned you know it's the fan,9 times out of 10 it is the fan but you never know, by leaving the icemaker out you can eliminate that but put the back panel back in the freezer otherwise it wont cool correctly, let it run overnight and see if you the noise at all if so replace the fan, if the noise doesn't return and say a day or two then it was the icemaker and then you can either replace the icemaker or just leave it out altogether that's up to you, thanks and well wishes, Bryan