Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a side by side (kssc42qms01) refridgerator that quit

I have a side by side (kssc42qms01) refridgerator that quit cooling the refridge side - the coil was frozen and a technician recommended replacing the evap. fan and condensor motor along with the control board but still not cooling... what next? low freon?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

When you had the freezer apart how much of the evaporator coil was Frost up an frozen? Was it all the way up all the coils really thick Frost? Or was it only two or three coils or half the coils? Is it frozen up again now? Did you completely defrost this with a hairdryer and get all the Frost off before restarting the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The top half had a large block of ice - we melted it off with hot water and then reset... then started replacing parts.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so the whole thing wasn't frozen then? Was there any Frost on the lower coils?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes frost over the entire coil - blow drying now! Do you suspect low frean charge?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well if all the coils of frosted from top to bottom and front to back I don't suspect a Freon problem, which control did you replace,? This one? There's no big block of ice on the top of the coils now though correct? Just a lot of Frost on all the coils is that what you're saying?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the control board behind the thermostat

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, thats the one

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I believe you were given bad advice unfortunately, it's most likely either the defrost thermistor,this is what tells the refrigerator to go into the defrost cycle and also tells the when to shut the defrost cycle off, I do not believe this is sensing correctly, the other part that could be bad would be the defrost heater itself, more commonly though it's the thermistor, like I said this tells the heater to come on off when these defrost, what this is not doing is defrosting that's why all that frost is on the coils, I would replace that, it is clipped onto the top of the evaporator coils, the coils you are defrosting right now, it's number 14 on this diagram, you can order this at the following blue link

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kitchenaid-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/2188820/0046/106/Model-KSSC42QMS01/059 3/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=KSSC42QMS01&subCompDesc=Lower%20unit%20and%20tube%20parts&brandDesc=KITCHENAID&modelDesc=BUILT-IN-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11 I believe this will take care of your issue, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The thermistor tests (1 & 2 on the diagnostic) passed but the control goes black on the 3rd step....

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The control goes black on the third step? Is that still on the thermistor diagnostic test alone or was a continuing onto test different things in the defrost system? I don't have the manual in front of me so I'm going by what you say, there are three steps to testing the thermistor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are only 2 steps - passed both. Fails on the 3rd - Evaporator Fan Motor which was first thing replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Step 1 is FC Thermistor, "01" pass

Step 2 is RC Termistor, "01" pass

Display goes black on 3rd step - Evaporator Fan Motor, replaced

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok - back to your first suggestion - the controller board in the upper unit. I have a replacement but can't see a way to remove the housing?!? I will accept and offer extra $20 for the extra assist. Thanks, Dave
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to be so long Dave, I had to go out and bring my mother dinner, she is 86 and I take care of her, okay if you already replaced the evaporator fan motor you are correct the board has been relay on it., You say you already picked up the board? Is this the control board you picked up?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

if that is the board this is part # XXXXX on this diagram, you need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and its in the back near the compressor, in a box. take screw # XXXXX out and its in there, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

P S heres a link to all the diagrams for your refrigerator.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kitchenaid-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-KSSC42QMS01/0593/0165000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=KSSC42QMS01

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is a built-in - I was able to find a 2nd screw holding the casing (the diagram ohis nlly shows 1, very explicitly). I intended to bonus on the previous question but then submitted a 2nd question after getting your $5 bonus question - you got me convinced to get the main controller board which fixed me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
its fixed? sorry about the diagrams and how hard it is to get to, thanks and well wishes, Bryan