Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

GE Gas Dryer - heats, drum turns doesnt dry

GE Gas Dryer - heats, drum turns doesn't dry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get us the full model number? This should be one on the machine when you open the door, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
egg4500d1ww
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

That number is XXXXX coming up, is this an American unit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
as far as I know I bought it at Conn's 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay and you are sure that is the model number? Some of it looks right at the beginning (eeg) doesn't can you recheck it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
egd4500d1ww
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

That's better, when you push the start button the drum turns and then you hear a click? Down inside the dryer? This is a tough dryer to check because we have to remove the front panel and the top to get into the interior, then you would need to jump out the belt switch and start the dryer, we need to see if the igniter is glowing or not, do you have some general tools you can work with? A Phillips head screwdriver and a nutdriver set?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if I have heat the ignitor should be working correct? I have a phillips head but not sure about a nut driver set. My ex took all the tools
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I may have misunderstood, this is heating? It gets hot inside? Is it just that the dryer gets hot but the clothes are not drying,? Are they running for a long time and yet they are hot but damp or wet still?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes that is correct and I do have a nut driver set (don't know if they are all there).
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well if it's heating inside you will not need to take it apart, what I would like you to do and I know you checked the vent but can you remove the vent from the dryer completely and try a load,? It doesn't have to be a big load actually the smaller the better and see if it dries, if this is getting hot inside it's an airflow problem, as long as it's lighting and relighting and staying hot the whole cycle then it should be drying and it's a vent problem, best way to find out for sure is to run a load without the vent connected to the dryer at all, can you do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will put some damp clothes - nothing like a small load - have washer taken apart so I can get to dryer. so I guess I will contact you in 20 mins or so. How do I contact you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Just reply back and I will receive it, I'm going to take a break anyway so take your time, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They did not dry.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, means your gas coils are bad and it's not relighting enough to keep it hot enough to drive a clothes, you will need to replace them, I'm not sure you have enough tools to get this apart and replace them, this is a common issue on these, with a Phillips head screwdriver you can take the top off of the dryer, if you open the door and look up with the door shuts there will be two Phillips head screws they need to be removed and then you pull the top followed it and up and it will come off, then down the sides on the inside of the dryer there will be two 5/16" nut head screws you will need to remove them and then pull a front forwarded the top and disconnect the wires to the door switch then lift the front panel assembly off the bottom clips and put it aside, make sure the dryer is unplugged before starting this repair, then you will need to reach in and release the belt and pull the drum out the front, this can be difficult you need to reach in and pull the pulley back to the right and release the belt, this is very difficult to do if you have short arms you may not even be able to reach it and you have to do it by feel because you can't see it, once that is done then you have the drum out, you will see the coils on the gas valve, there will be two Phillips head screws you remove and the bracket that holds them down and then you pull the wires off and install the new ones, here is a link to purchase the parts and also there is a video there that will help you to install them, the video helps walk you through it even taken the front off , some models a different you have to watch the video and see which dryer you have, some you can pop the top up with a putty knife some you need to remove the screws but otherwise its basically the same, here's the link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gas-Valve-Solenoid-Set/3449 I wish you well and if you feel you can do this you will need to call a technician to do this for you. Actually on some models you can get the gas valve without removing the drum which will be a big help but that's probably the hottest part of the whole job, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anyway to test the ones I pulled to see if they are truly bad or if it is something else enitrely? Especially since I can't return it if it doesn't fix it.

Also, how reputable is the repair clinic website for parts? The reason I asked, is I called around locally to see if anyone had the parts and I didn't have to pay shipping and locally they tell me you have to order each coil separately at over $30+ per coil. And if I am reading the link you gave me correctly - it is quoting $35.15 for both?!

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

there is no way to test these, and yes the price at repair clinic is $35.15 for both, they also let you return them if they dont fix your issue, I'm very confident this will repair your issue though, and repair clinic is a very reputable company, I've been doing this with them for years and have sent many people there to buy parts and when there is an issue they stand behind their parts, you can do better than that, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.