Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag glass top range with advanced cooking system.

I have a Maytag glass top range with advanced cooking system. After an electrical surge problem I have not been able to use the oven. Whe I try to turn it on it indicates that it is locked. I don't have a manual to get directions to unlock it and be able to use the oven. I am not sure which model it is to look up a manual for it. Where would I find the model number, or can you give directions as to how to unlock the oven operating system. Thank you, XXXXX

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good morning Mr. Goodrich, if this has a bottom drawer pull it out and look on either side there should be a tag with the model number on it, also is there a lock icon on the range control? What I mean is is there a little lock light with a button above it you can push? Without a model number I'm going blind here, if you don't find the model number in the drawer if it has one open the oven and look around with the oven closes and see if there's a tag, let me know and I'll try to help, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, The model number is XXXXX
Okay great, does the control panel not respond to anything you do? What I mean is you're not able to set the oven to bake and actually bring up a temperature in the digital display is that correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right the control panel does not respond to any input. I cannot turn on the oven. The readout states LOCKED.
Okay, try this, push and hold the stop time and cancel keypads in for 3 seconds, see if this unlocks it, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The digital dispay now reads OFF. Before trying that I was able to get the clean oven operation to start.
Okay, so is it now unlocked? Try putting it in bake does it respond?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I push bake the word OFF comes back on. The oven doesn't turn on.
Okay, try pushing those two buttons again for 3 seconds and see what it does, this may be a control problem, we may have actually turned off the oven functions, you said you tried to put this in self-cleaning before this happened is that correct? Did actually go into self-cleaning or is that when it said locked? I'm wondering if one of your door lock switches may have failed also, let me know after you push the buttons again what it says and what it does, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pushing the same two buttons had the same result. When I tried to turn on the oven the screen said OFF. When I tried the clean button before stating any of this the oven did start to heat. UNtil today the Clean button did not function either.
Okay, I'm sorry for all the questions it's just difficult to know exactly what's going on with this without asking a lot of questions, so before you even talk to us this morning you tried put it in so the clean and it actually came on and started the heat correct? Did the door lock? When you tried this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay so is after you unlock the control the way I told you to that's when it began to be able to put this in Self clean is that correct,? I'm sorry it's so difficult to know the order in which you tried different things but I need to get this information to make sure were on the right track, I believe now it is you lock latch assembly that's failed, what happens is this has switches on it and one of the switches controls the oven when this is not in self clean and is unlocked, the door that is, one of the switches has failed and is stuck in the wrong position, the control thinks the door is locked and in that situation you are not able to bake or broil because the switch doesn't send power back to the board to run the oven, I know this is a little confusing but the switches have to be in the correct position after the door unlocks in order for you be able to use the bake and broil again, this is the door lock switch, you can order just the switch which is good because you don't have to replace the whole latch assembly, here is a link to order the switch, to get at this you will need to lift the top of the range, there will be screws along the front we you open the door, remove the screws and lift the whole top up, it is hinged in the back, make sure the range is unplugged or the power is shut off before servicing, once you get the top up you will see the latch assembly in the middle front, there may be a cover over it some do have covers, replace the switch and you should be all set, thanks and well wishes, Bryan