Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE profile Microwave was running then it shut off prematurely

My GE profile Microwave was running then it shut off prematurely and now will not turn back on, Where should I start?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Are all the lights out in this? Is this completely dead? No light when you open the door no digital readout whatsoever?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi Brian , no power at all
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, you have a blown internal fuse, the fuses inside the microwave itself behind the control panel, they call it an in-line fuse, it's number 4010 on this diagram, be extremely careful opening the control panel however, microwaves are extremely dangerous to work on even when their unplugged, the high-voltage capacitor can hold a lethal amount of voltage, this appears to be a countertop microwave is that correct? Hard to tell by the diagrams, if it is you will need to remove the outer casing to get to this, if you're not sure about working on something with high-voltage either call a technician in to replace it or replace the microwave itself, you can get the fuse at any Lowe's or hardware store, RadioShack also has them I believe, be safe, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Brian, sorry for the misspelling of your name. Will need to remove entire cover?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If this is a countertop which I think it is yes you will need to remove the cover because these fuses are usually towards the back wall at the top, sometimes these take a special torx driver to remove the safety screws, these are not made for the average person to work on so they put in safety screws that you can take out, I'm not sure on yours however it may just have Phillips head screws, just please be extremely careful if you decide to do this yourself, make sure the machine is unplugged and do not touch anything inside the control area itself, this can be deadly, if you can just get to the fuse and remove it you can take it to Lowe's or any hardware store and it will match it up for you get you the correct fuse, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Will be careful.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
You very very welcome, I just want you to be safe, please don't forget to press the accept button if I've been helpful, thank you well wishes and have a great Sunday, Bryan