Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Sears Kenmore refrigerator The freezer is on top.

We have a Sears Kenmore refrigerator The freezer is on top. The freezer has a snowy buildup and the bottom(frig) doesn't seem like it's cooling properly?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good morning, you have a defrost issue in this, this is very common on these, there are a couple of different reasons, its usually one of the following two, 1 the defrost thermostat has failed, that's the most common reason, 2 the defrost timer has failed, the second most common reason in this refrigerator, is the fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The fan is defunitely running in the freezer

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so you definitely have a defrost problem, is the first thing you need to do is to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food, if you have an icemaker you will probably need to remove that also to get the back off, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No we don't have voltmeter and yes we have an icemaker
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay without a voltmeter it's very difficult for me to tell you how to test the parts to find out which one is causing your issue, in order to get this running correctly for now you will need to take it back panel off behind the food which means remove in the icemaker also and take a hairdryer in defrost all the Frost on the coils behind the panel, once that is completely defrosted nice and clean you can put the panel back on in turn the refrigerator back on, this will take a while to cool back down and stabilize the temperatures again but it needs to be done in order to get your refrigerator working, can you pick up a voltmeter? If you can Lowe's has them for around $15.00 a cheap one that will do the trick. When you have the panel off on the top of the coils after you defrosted you will see something similar to this, in fact this is the one that is supposed to be in yours,this is the defrost thermostat and about 80% of the time on yours this is what fails, this turns your defrost heater on and off, this needs to be tested, the other thing that would need to be tested is the defrost heater,if you don't think you can do these tests then to get it running temporarily do what I said above and defrost all the coils, then you can make an appointment for a technician to come out and checked the parts for you, by defrosting it and putting it back together the refrigerator will run correctly for about three weeks before it freezes up again, this is just a temporary fix if you feel you can't test the parts above, but with it will at least get you running until you can have a technician out, the defrost thermostat is about $31.00 and the heater is about $35.00 so you know the prices one a tech does come out, if both of those check out good it's the defrost timer,this is about $25.00 I give you this information so you don't get ripped off by a technician and you will know what the parts cost, if you think you can get a meter and test these yourself let me know and I will explain how to do it, and also give you a link where you can order the part, thanks, Bryan