Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Washer is locked and will not open. Signaled E-13. Put it

Customer Question

Washer is locked and will not open. Signaled E-13. Put it through refresh and it signaled again E-13. Was able to open and take some clothes out and now I cannot reopen it after trying yet another refresh cycle. The washer is connected to a wall drain...could it be that the computer thinks it is not draining? You can her the pump trying to drain. This has happened before and I am tired of this machine. Have repair person twice and He doesn't know how to correct it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this is a drain problem,

E:13 Er:13P:15Drain pump time exceededFaulty drain pump, wire harness, hose.

it means there is still water in the tub. in the front right bottom corner there should be a round cap. remove that and unscrew the drain trap and pull it out and clean it, this should reset the board , be carefull there will be water get some towels ready, let me know if that works, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Repair person opened the drain on the right side of the washer and nothing was trapped or needed cleaning. This is a recurring problem and would like not to have to do this every time I do laundry!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Did he test the pump? Did he check the wiring to the pump? When the repair person opened the drain you said it was nothing in it? Did he get it running at that time or did he just leave?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He said there was a possibility that it could be the pump. He put it through a diagnostic cycle and the pump worked and emptied the machine. I have done 3 loads since and it worked. Today it is not! We just drained the machine by opening the drain trap and it was clear. The washer door opened and the clothes are back in. We have it on refresh cycle once again. Why is it doing this? Could it be that the computer is too sensitive to the wall drain? We adjusted the hose at the repairman's suggestion.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Did he give you any of warranty for what he did? So all you really did to this was adjusted the hose? He very well could be the control board, although I would suggest you call the service man back and tell him it still not running correctly, you paid for service already and he didn't take care the issue, when we go out and do a repair if the customer calls us back because the same issue we do not charge again and that's the way it should be, was this gentleman unauthorized Bosch servicer? Did you get this companies name through Bosch itself? If you party paid him I would make come back and check both the pump the board and the wiring, there could be a loose connection in one of the wiring harnesses, it seems to me like you didn't want to bother too much to check those things, I wouldn't suggest you trying to do these things, these machines are very complicated and it could end up costing you more in the long run if you start replacing parts without knowing what is wrong, that's about all I can tell you at this point, service manuals say it's the pump or trap is clogged or the could be a loose connection, he needs to come back and check that for you, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The washer is has gone through the whole cycle. Obviously the pump did work. We have had this machine for 2 years and this problem has occurred before, now it is worse. We are good for 90 days after the visit. His only solution was to replace the pump for $100.00 and of course we paid $129 for him to walk in the door. It was a technician from the store we bought the washer from, and works on bosch washers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a chronic problem with bosch washers? I think I would like to buy a new washer but if they all sensitive computers will I have the same problem?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I was off line, unfortunately all the new electronic washers are sensitive to all kinds of electronics problems, I'm still thinking you have a bad connection somewhere on your wiring harness, or one of the plugs that goes to it, he may work on Bosch washers but is he a factory trained and authorized servicer? This makes a big difference, if he doesn't have the training is probably not an authorized servicer, I wish I could tell you more but unfortunately all of these frontload washers have problems multitudes of problems, I would call store back in the many come back out and checked the plugs and wiring harness to make sure there's no loose connections anywhere, it's an intermittent problem so it has to be something is loose somewhere in there, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the new top loaders that don't have agitators and seem to work on similar principle as the front loaders, are they as susceptible to electronics problems?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry the storm knocked or internet out yesterday, we had 70 mile an hours winds, and golf ball size hail. the top loaders without the agitators also have electronics, they do have other issues with these also, If I were to suggest a front loader I would suggest whirlpool if anything at all. extended warranty is the best way to go. thanks Bryan