How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven in my kitchen.

Resolved Question:

I have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven in my kitchen. Last night while cooking a frozen dinner the microwave made a funny arcing/shorting noise and shut down completely. I assumed the house fuse for it had blown, but it had not, I reset it and still nothing, no lights...nothing! I tested the dedicated microwave outlet w/ another appliance and it worked fine. Is there an internal fuse/breaker or overheat/overload protector on the unit?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

 

If you heard an arcing noise either the high-voltage transformer, the magnetron, or the high voltage diode has blown in this, this will blow the internal fuse inside the microwave, caution however, the high-voltage side of these can store enough voltage to kill you even if it's unplugged, most likely if I had to guess I would say the magnetron is probably blown, this is by far the most common failure in these, however replacing this is dangerous, the magnetron runs around $95.00 so you know, I would call a qualified technician to work on this for you, be safe, an average of five people year die trying to repair their microwaves, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So basically as they say "no servicable parts inside" is what I should accept and call a tech. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Well it's definitely serviceable it's just extremely dangerous if you not a qualified technician, I've seen too many people get hurt trying to repair these themselves, the average cost for tech is around $79.00 for the service call, it's well worth having somebody repair this for you because it is a convection oven also, these can be expensive to replace the whole oven, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Related Appliance Questions