Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven in my kitchen.

I have a GE Profile Microwave/convection oven in my kitchen. Last night while cooking a frozen dinner the microwave made a funny arcing/shorting noise and shut down completely. I assumed the house fuse for it had blown, but it had not, I reset it and still nothing, no lights...nothing! I tested the dedicated microwave outlet w/ another appliance and it worked fine. Is there an internal fuse/breaker or overheat/overload protector on the unit?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

If you heard an arcing noise either the high-voltage transformer, the magnetron, or the high voltage diode has blown in this, this will blow the internal fuse inside the microwave, caution however, the high-voltage side of these can store enough voltage to kill you even if it's unplugged, most likely if I had to guess I would say the magnetron is probably blown, this is by far the most common failure in these, however replacing this is dangerous, the magnetron runs around $95.00 so you know, I would call a qualified technician to work on this for you, be safe, an average of five people year die trying to repair their microwaves, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So basically as they say "no servicable parts inside" is what I should accept and call a tech. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Well it's definitely serviceable it's just extremely dangerous if you not a qualified technician, I've seen too many people get hurt trying to repair these themselves, the average cost for tech is around $79.00 for the service call, it's well worth having somebody repair this for you because it is a convection oven also, these can be expensive to replace the whole oven, thanks and well wishes, Bryan