Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our dishwasher is not doing a good job of cleaning the dishes,

Customer Question

Our dishwasher is not doing a good job of cleaning the dishes, mainly on the upper rack.
The inside of cups and glasses appear not to have been touched by the water/soap mixture at all.
It is not easy to check to see if the rotor that sprays the water is actually turning sufficiently to do the job, but it is free to turn when I spin it by hand. To me it points possibly to the pump not creating sufficient flow/pressure.....but I could us a little help with the problem.

Thanks, Ken
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model number? The one you sent came through all xxxxxxxx, you may need to put a space between each number, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Bryan,

Here is the full info that I got off the plate on the dishwasher:-

TYPE: 577-0

MODEL: 665.16462300 (I left out the . because Sears online parts dept. didn't like it.

S/N: FR(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

STOKE # XXXXX

The unit is about 6-8 years old (and Canadian)

We inherited it when we move here 2 1/2 years ago.

Thanks, Ken

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great got it, the first thing you need to do for me is start the machine and let it fill, once it's full and starts to wash open the door and tell me in inches how much water is in the bottom, does it come all the way up to the heater or above? Let me know when you have this done, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Can we continue this a bit later, say in about two - three hours?

We were just on our way out for an appoinment that we can't be late for.

I didn't expect such a fast response to my problem!

Thanks, Ken

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sure just come back and reply and I will receive it, thanks talk later, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I'm back!

I filled the dishwasher and measured the water level and in varied from 1/2" to 3/4" depending on where I took the measurement. The level only came up to half way on the heating element.

I checked the position of the shut-off valve (ball valve) on the line from the sink and it was fully open.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you need to replace the fill valve, what happens is these are a timed fill cycle and if the valve doesn't open fully it doesn't put enough water in in the allotted time, this is a very common issue with these dishwashers, the water should be at least up to or over the heater, that's why you have no pressure at top spray arm, there's not enough water in the machine to reach the top spray arm under pressure, this is the water inlet valve, this is located behind the front kick panel under the door and the front of the machine, is what you're water from the sink looks up to, you can either pick one of these up locally or you can order one at the following link, http://w ww.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-Parts/Dishwasher-Parts/8531671/0022/665/Model-66516462300/0582/0130000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=66516462300&subCompDesc=Fill%20and%20overfill&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=UNDERCOUNTER-DISHWASHER&blt=11 this will take care of your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I clicked accept, but I don't see any amount on the following screen except bonus boxes?

Ken

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats fine I received my pay, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Further to ...............

Before going for a replacement inlet valve for our dishwasher...

With a full load of dishes and cups etc. I decided to add additional water from the sink.

After turning the machine on, I waited until the "fill" cycle was finished, then opened the door and added some water until the level was just above the heating element. I did this for every filling in the complete washing cycle, I believe about three times.

It didn't seam to have any effect on improving the "cleaning" of the cups and glasses in the upper basket.

Do you know of anything else I can try that might work?

Thanks, Ken

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like your pump is bad then Ken, I didn't want to come to that conclusion because it's more money, that was a good test to see if you are getting any water pressure, one more thing you can try before ordering a pump for this though is try that again just in the beginning of the cycle though and put a glass in the top rack standing up rather than upside down so it can catch water and see if your getting any water up there, there should be water in the glass after the first drain, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Interesting!

I stood 5 glasses upright; one in each corner and one in the middle and periodically checked during the first cycle for water-in-the-glasses....

First test I did without adding any additional water and the glasses in 3 corners and the middle were starting to fill up, by the end of 5 minutes, they were all full except one of the corner ones.

The second test, I added water to just above the heating element, I also checked the over flow float and it was at max height. Anyway after turning on the unit the glasses filled up much faster, probably within a couple of minutes, except again one of the glasses in a corner.

With the first test the pump did sound as if it was cavitating, a sort of pulsing sound, maybe sucking in some air.

Hope you can make something out of this.

The kicker is that we are moving to another house in about a month, but I don't really want to leave this problem with the next residents.

Thanks, Ken

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Well Ken I really dont know what this could be, to be honest. I'll opt out maybe someone else knows,it doesnt make sense, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your right! It has stumped me too!..........I guess your doing what I decided to do - - going to justanswer :)

Do you know if there is a relief valve on the pump?

Thanks, Ken