Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag washer LAT8820BAL top loader..Spin cycle with load kicks

Customer Question

Maytag washer LAT8820BAL top loader..Spin cycle with load kick's out...runs find without load..Checked both switches(timer/2 speed) on output voltage. 120VAC at the right times...No AMPS test, but it is kicking out the overload..Is there a capacitor on this unit?
Thanks
Wilson
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

These machines are famous for that, most of the time it's the bearing that gets hot and stops turning easily so the motor struggles to keep the tub turning but with a load in it and the bearing overheating the motor overheats and shuts down, this is the bearing assembly, there are special tools required to replace this however, there is a capacitor on this unit but it's only a motor start capacitor not a run capacitor so that would have nothing to do with it stopping in the middle of the spin cycle, you will need to replace the bearing assembly, the part runs around $50.00 and you will need a spanner wrench to remove it, the spanner wrench is a special wrench made to remove the spanner nut. The other part you may need to replace would be the tub seal, a lot of times the seals will not reseat correctly and this can leak, all the parts you need you can order at the following link, the seal runs about $70.00 so if you get it off and put it back together and it leaks it will need to be replaced, here's the link you need to the parts, http://www.repairclinic.com/Bearing-Parts?s=t-LAT8820BAL-%3d%3dc6 here is a diagram also, the bearing is number 45 and the seal is number 31, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
replaced bearings,still doing the same thing..Could it be the switches after all?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I doubt it, I think your motor is bad, if the tub is spinning easy then the motor is overheating and shutting down, the switch shouldnt do that, you can try lifting the lid and shutting it right after it stops and then try and tart it right away if it wont start but then does after like 5 minutes the motor overload is kicking the motor off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I direct hooked the motor and it works find with or without a load. Yet when I hook it to the wire loom it kicks out. Took a meter reading at the timer switch with OMHS and VOLTS of motor feed legs. They were both open. After cooling down they will close with the timer cam in proper position for spin it will run again for a very short time.

Bryan, just to let you know I've had 35 years in design engineering of equipment for the mest industry..Many patents for more complicated equipment than this...but this one had got me stumped.

Wilson

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay so it runs when you hook the motor up direct but stops when hooked up to the timer? timer contacts bad maybe? you say after the timer contacts cool down they close? which part are you talking about cooling down ? the motor or timer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Timer...not the motor...inspected the internals of the timer switch, contacts look normal for the amount of use. The motor thermal coupling is not kicking out, we determined this by placing a load in the drum for the spin cycle with direct hook up(note: this bypassed the complete wire loom and switches). Did not kick out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your timer is probably bad then, there really isnt anything else, you can try changing the capacitor but it says this is just a start capacitor not a run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I by-passed the lid and out of balance switches and it seems to be working find..I'll keep in touch..

Wilson

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I spoke to soon..that wasn't it..

Thanks for your help..I want bother you anymore..

Take Care

Wilson

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry I wish I had more info. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

Update..just bypassed completely the timer switch...Yet went through the lid,balance and two speed switch. It seem to be working...This is for you future reference.

Once I replace it I'll let you know how it works..

Wilson

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

After $500.00 in parts..As I use to say in Engineering: "If you can not hit it with a rifle. Try a shootgun.."

It was the belt that drove the drum...The clutch-action was missing...This is what happens to old age engineers...I guess a ramp-up motor would have been to costly...

Wilson

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok. sorry you had so much trouble with this.