Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The exhaust fan turns on w/out touching it, only way to stop

The exhaust fan turns on w/out touching it, only way to stop it is to cut the power. When powered up again it is quiet for an hour or two and then restarts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this is one of two things, 1 your touchpad (keypad) is sticking, the exhaust fan key on the control pad, or 2 the smart board is faulty, you need special tools and equipment to test the keypad, the only way to tell is use a keypad tester which is expensive and not economically a tool worth buying just to test one microwave, my guess is from what you're saying however is the keypad is bad, it's like you push the button to start it but it does it on its own, essentially it's arcing and causing the fan to come on, but I can't be absolutely sure about that, I can tell you that if it was the control board itself it runs around $86.00 and if it's the keypad membrane that runs around $23.09, you have two choices here buy the new keypad and see if that takes care of it or to be safe call a technician to come in and diagnose, depending on the age of the machine a lot of people opt to buy a new microwave, I wish there was a simple fix for this but unfortunately there isn't, you can't fix to keypad it's a sealed unit, it would need to be replaced, you can get all the parts for your microwave at the following link if you want to try replacing the parts, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan