Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Whirlpool Gold side-by-side icemarker is making very little

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Gold side-by-side icemarker is making very little ice. There's frozen ice in the tray, but it's not getting kicked out so new ice can be made. The drinking water dispenser is working fine and I recently replaced the water filter. Model# XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

When you open the freezer door there is a red light on the right side that is blinking, on the other side directly across that there is a flap, without covering the hole in the flap press this flap in and tell me what the light does, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am at work, will try this when I get home and reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, let me know later, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The light continues to blink when I press in the flap.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this mean the emitter and receiver is bad. you will need to replace it, you can order this at the follwoing link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Level-Control-Board/921526?modelNumber=GS6SHAXML00 thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Easy to install?

The same frig has a bad smell coming from the inside. I've thrown away old food and cleaned real good. Also have checked the freezer. Added baking soda to both. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
baking soda is the best way to get the smell out, you may need to use a lot though. it will go away once this cools down again and runs awhile, as far as replacing its fairly eassy and comes with instuctions, there are Phillip head screws on each one you remove to take them out, thanks, Bryan