Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 2000 KitchenAid undercounter dishwasher model KUDM25SH

I have a 2000 KitchenAid undercounter dishwasher model KUDM25SH and Serial FJ5209216. The door is locked and I am unable to get it open. I have tried holding the Energy Saver button down for a few seconds but that will not release the door.

Can you help me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this dorr doesnt release like that, its all in the latch assembly, the controls dont open it, the latch it broken, (plastic) these can be a pain to open. most of the time you have to force them open, the latch assembly will need to be replaced, you can order this at the following link, what I mean by the control doesn't lock the door is it's all mechanical and has micro switches but they don't lock the door they just send power to the control, you may need to actually pull the door real hard while pushing upon the handle part to get this open, it's caught on the strike plate, hope this info is useful, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have put pressure on pulling the door open and it still will not release. We are scared of breaking the door.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes I understand that, the control is plastic and I don't blame you for being worried about breaking it, unfortunately I would suggest calling a technician in to fix this, if he breaks it then he is responsible for it, you can tell him you already know the latch assembly is broken but the control is not and that's why you called them to make sure it gets repaired without breaking the control panel, I wish there was an easy solution but these can be a real pain in the neck to get open, thanks, Bryan