Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

KBF042FTX03 Not running. After restart faint noises come from

Customer Question

KBF042FTX03 Not running. After restart faint noises come from the top mounted compressor box, then a faint click and nothing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Is the noise like a hum before you hear the click?

Customer:

More like a faint cycling sound

The Home Smithy :

I am sorry. I just noticed that you are in Canada. I do not have information on Canadian models. I will opt out and refer this to one of our Canadian experts. Sorry for the inconveinece.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you tell if the clicking is coming from the compressor itself or does it sound like a relay on the board next to the compressor?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Does the clicking seem to be coming from this? This is mounted on the side of the compressor, big black ball,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
.
It does not sound or feel like it but it is hard to be certain

Just to clarify the "cycling" is closer to a bubbling sound and continues for about 15 seconds before the click and complete silence. It does not try to come on again on its own and i have force it on with the on off switch. When i open the fridge door, the lights come on but I get nothing on the digital read out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay, if you're digital readout isn't coming on at all then it's not going to be the inverter I don't believe, however is most likely one of your control boards has failed, there are two of them near the compressor, you will need to look at these and see if one has any burn marks or bad diodes on it, sometimes however you can't really see a problem with the control boards, here is a diagram of the locations, this covers all models on this refrigerator, there could also be a problem with the transformer, the control boards are number 11 and number 5 and the transformer is number 8 on this diagramgraphicthese can be very difficult to test in fact there really isn't any test you can do, at least not on the boards, the transformer you can test power to and from if you have a meter, if not you may need to call a technician to get these tested, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.