Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Model CER3540AAW self-cleaning, conventional heating-element

Customer Question

Model CER3540AAW self-cleaning, conventional heating-element range.
Ran the self-cleaning cycle with no unusual events. I do NOT know if this has any bearing on the remainder of the story.
Several days later, tried to use the oven, but it won't heat. When you would turn on the "Bake" at 350 degrees, the pre-heat indicator would come on for a few seconds and then go out, but the heating element did not seem to heat. So pushed the "Bake" button again and raised the temperature control to 400 degrees and the oven heated a little bit and then seemed to shut down, so I just quit trying to use the oven.
The next day (today), I turned on one of the surface heating elements (which worked very normally) and started to get "beeping" and the fault code "F1" on the display screen. I continued to use the surface elements for about ten minutes and the "beeping" and display of the "F1" code continued on a random and varied pattern until I turned off the surface element. All was then quiet. I then turned on the "Bake" function in the oven, which caused the same 1-2 second activation of the "pre-heat" indicator, but there was NO heating in the oven. I turned it off and here I am with the story. What's going on and what should be done? Thank you.
Larry Sherer
Cortland, OH
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Hi Larry, the famous F1 code, this is the meaning of the F1 code

F1 1. Watchdog on board
2. Touch membrane defective
To determine which component is at fault, disconnect ribbon strip. If NO fault code, replace membrane, otherwise replace board

In your case you will need to replace the clock, on some models such as yours the clock and keypad are one unit, some ranges have a separate keypad which has the ribbon strip on it and plugs into the clock but in your case the clock and keypad are one unit, so the clock will need to be replaced, you can order this at the following link

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Control-Board/400605?modelNumber=CER3540AAW thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p> </p><p>Bryan,</p><p>I followed your advice from 4/7/11, and am still having the same problem. The entire control unit is a single unit in this range, and I purchased a new one from "Repair Clinic" (repairclinic.com) for $175.</p><p>When installed, unit acts exactly the same as previously noted on my original question to you. The oven does <strong>NOT</strong> work, and an F1 message comes up. Now what should I do? What tests might help troubleshoot this problem?</p><p>Larry</p><p>Cortland, OH</p>
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
so you ordered a new control which comes with the overlay kepad ? click this link, http://www.repairclinic.com/Fault-Codes#MagicChef it take you to repair clinic and thats what there site says also. scroll down to magic chef and you will see it. the good thing is its returnable, you dont have a touch membrane in yours it comes one piece correct? there no ribbon comming from a keypad that plugs into the control correct? I'm dumfounded that didnt work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Bought & installed the entire unit. The unit accepts 4 single wires that plug in and one five-wire socket that plugs into the unit. The unit looks just like the illustration that you included with your answer to me, It is a single unit with no wires / ribbon connector of any type coming out of the unit.

Larry.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Larry, I'm reading about this in the service manuals, this is the only other thing it says, you may need to check the temperature sensor apparently they don't mention this anywhere else I was lucky to dig up the original service manual on this let me see if I can look up the temp sensor for you and find the ohms on that, thanks, Bryan

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Click this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Sensor/1364?modelNumber=CER3540AAW#repairHelpVideoTabs this will take you to a video to show you how to test the oven temperature sensor, the sensor or as it's also known probe, sticks through the back of the oven and you will see it on the back wall inside it looks like this,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
do the tests it says to do and let me know what the reading is on it, it's funny but they don't mention that in the fault code lists for F1, try this and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Problems with the temperature probe would make sense seeing that the problem occurred after a oven self-cleaning cycle was run. Maybe the probe was damaged.

I tested the resistance of the oven temperature probe and it is completely open - no conductivity. If the probe is the problem, should I just pull the new control unit and reinstall the old one?

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That's what I would do Larry, return it and tell them that you read on their site that it was the control that was bad it didn't mention that it could be the probe/sensor, tell them you were going by what they show also and you would like to return it, they are really good at that repair clinic so they may even ship you the sensor at no charge because you have to return the other part, you will still have to pay for the sensor but they may ship it for free I'm not sure, but I would return the clock if it's to on the same thing it was doing before it doesn't make sense that it was bad, I'm very sorry you're going through this but I was going by what the codes came up as, luckily I looked at my old databases and found a better explanation of what was going on in yours, I can't believe I still had the service manual for it, at any rate please accept my apologies for pointing you in the wrong direction, but it makes no sense that the clock would be bad if it does the same thing as it did before, have a great day, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

No problem. I appreciate your expertise and tenacity, even after I released the payment. I talked to "Repair Clinic" and am returning the control unit and ordered the temperature probe.

Thank you. I'll try to get back to you after I get the probe for an update to you.

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay that would be great, let me know if it takes care of the issue, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Purchased an oven probe locally and this solved the F1 code problem on this range.

Thank you for your help and follow-up. I would certainly recommend and use your services again in the future.

Larry

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your welcome. thanks , Bryan