Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a older sharp microwave convection oven (about 9 years

I have a older sharp microwave convection oven (about 9 years old) has been working great but.... I opened the door to set something inside the microwave and when I pulled my arm back the cuff of my shirt caught on one of the door latch closures and broke off that lower latch arm. Is there anywhere I can take my microwave to get that lower latch arm replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

if you get me your model # XXXXX'll look up the part and make sure its still available first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll have to do this when I go home then. I don't have that info with me and I am on a break at my workplace, I'm in Clarksville TN, is there a way I can get back to you later with this info? I've not used this service before so am unsure of how much time and how many communications we can have.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure no problem, when you get home just post the model # XXXXX I will receive it. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, here is the info on the microwave. It is a Sharp Carousel, Model #R-930AW, and the serial #41988

So, I'd appreciate any help you could give me on getting that lower latch on the door repaired and where.
Thanks
Bruce
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply, what is happened is it's not just the lower latch, the latch is one piece with the two hooks attached, unfortunately I'm having trouble finding somebody that will take care this for you we can drop it off I should say this is not a real difficult job to do do you think you might want to do it yourself? I can walk you through it and send you a diagram of the door assembly if you wish, this seems to me know in your area that you can drop it off to, if you want to go forward let me know I will send you the diagrams and you can decide with you think you want to do it yourself, the part is only $17.50, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, if you can get me the part and the diagram of the door and how that latch is assembled in there, I think I can do that. That seems to be just taking in apart and putting in a new piece. I think I can handle that. The microwave is great, works wonderfully and I'd like to get it back and going. So yes let's give it a try. How soon will the part get here do you think and how will I be charged for the part?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well let's do this one step at a time, first the part should only take a couple of days to get there and here is the link to order it, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Latch/761007?modelNumber=R930AW and they take credit cards or debit card, and here is the diagram, it is part number 5-7 on the diagram, part number 5-3 on the diagram is the choke that's what they call it is a plastic trim piece that goes all the way around the door and just snaps in, you will need a small screwdriver or a thin putty knife to unsnap this, just on the outside and pry the plastic trim piece off, once that is off you will see how the latch assembly goes in, here's the diagram, I don't think 11 the issue replacing this, I wish I could find a place for you to drop it off but a lot of people don't want to deal with sharp appliances unfortunately, I hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've ordered the part and printed out the diagram and your response. So I think I can tackle this. I'll get back to you if I run into problems. Thanks