Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a GE dishwasher Model GDWT200R10WW Serial TS839008B.

We have a GE dishwasher Model GDWT200R10WW Serial TS839008B. We bought a new house in December of 2009 and had this upgraded dishwasher installed by the house builder contractor. We clean off all our dishes before we put them in the dishwasher. There are just the two of us in the house with company occasionally for dinner. We use the dishwasher about every other day. It has been working well until about six months ago. But a problem has arisen where the detergent dispenser doesn’t empty fully. If we have any dishes (plates or pan lids in the rack near the dispenser then soap stains are left on them. So we have been loading the dishwasher with the lower rack (quarter section in front of dispenser) left vacant. We have experimented in putting less detergent (liquid - Kirkland brand Liquid Gel) in the dispenser, but still a residue is left (partially baked on). I have cleaned out the dispenser before running, but it still leaves a residue (about a quarter of a teaspoon) smeared on the inside of the open dispenser. I have checked the lower water dispenser arm to see if it is clogged and it appears to be clean and clear. The maximum water temperature of our hot water is around 115 degrees when let run from the sink faucet for a few minutes. I am an engineer by profession (aircraft) recently retired, so I am not ignorant of mechanical items. There appears to be a failure of mechanical or software hardware. Could you suggest what the problem might be or is this a new condition appearing with this particular model of dishwasher. I would appreciate any suggestions to correct the problem. Thanks. XXXXX Batson atXXXXX, Nampa, Idaho - 83687, tele - 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you start the dish washer and let it fill then open the door and tell me how much water in inches is in the bottom? does it come up to the heater?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dishwasher water depth is about 3/4 of an inch up from the center bottom screen. The top of the water is about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the heating element.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your not getting enough water, the inlet valve is partially clogged inside, unfortunately you cant clear this the valve doesn't come apart for cleaning, if you take it apart it will leak, you need to replace it. you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/1263963?modelNumber=GDWT200R10WW when the water is low theres not enough water pressure through the pump to clean the dishes correctly or dissolve the soap completely, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Is the replacing of this inlet valve something a regular home handyman (I consider myself such) can do? Or is this repair something that a trained technician with special tools needs to do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Did you already reply to my questions? If so, where can I find the reply?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you can do it, its not to hard, there is a panel on the front under the door you remove, take the access panel off and the valve will be on the left side, shut the water off under the sink and then its easy, two lines (one from under sink copper) and one going to the dish washer, tank (rubber.) and one plug, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.