Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Washer, top load, approx. 13 yrs old (Model lat9334aam) that

Customer Question

Washer, top load, approx. 13 yrs old (Model lat9334aam) that fills but no wash agitation, moves to mid cycle spin, rinse and empties. Re-fills OK, but again no wash agitation but moves to final spin rinse, empties and moves to off. Several months ago this started with normal fabrics and my wife started using the permanent press cycle and it worked OK. However now both cycles run as stated above. Appreciate any advice before looking for a new or used machine. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

When it moves the final rinse and spin does it actually spin? Does it drain the water? Can you hear a motor running? While it's doing these cycles?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does spin and does drain both mid cycle and at the end of cycle. I'm not sure on the motor running question other then hearing the spin.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay we know the motor is running, the timer has failed in this, you will need to replace it, the contacts inside are burnt, you can order this at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/453819?modelNumber=LAT9334AAM the part is over $122.00 however so you may want to consider a new machine at this point but that's entirely up to you, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan: Just to be sure it's the timer. The dial moves through all the cycles of "normal fabrics" and preforms the fill, spin, empty functions but not agitation so I just want to be reassured the timer is the problem for no agitation.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes there are lots of contacts in the timer some run the water some run the rinse some the spin and so on and there is one that runs the agitate, in other words sends power to the motor to agitate, if you don't hear the motor run when it is supposed to be agitating the timer is not telling the motor to agitate, pretty common problem, you can eliminate the lid switch and a belt problem because the spin wouldn't work if either one of these were bad, it's very unlikely that it would be a motor problem because these motors rarely go, after the water fills and the timer is advancing through the agitation cycle do you hear the motor running and all? If not it's the timer for sure, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks. The timer is easy to replace so I'll give it a shot.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks you, have a great day. Bryan