Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Performa - Freezer on the bottom. The freezer

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Performa - Freezer on the bottom. The freezer is getting frost and the refrgerator is too warm. Fan runs contiuously. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

let me check your model I'll be back soon,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, there are a few things that can cause this problem, one the defrost thermostat may have failed, 2 the heater may have failed, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes we do, my husband would know how to do this, I believe, but he is unavailable right now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I will be on most of the day so when your husband gets back or is available just reply back to me and I will walk him through how to do it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan:

I'm caught up and here.

Marty

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay Marty, I'm gonna send you diagrams now, on this diagram you need to remove part number four the back panel inside the freezer and test the heater as shown above,the heater is number 15 on the diagram, it runs down around and up the other side you will see the wire connectors you can unplugged to test this, it should a refrigerator is unplugged, to test the defrost thermostat which will be clipped to the coils at the top it needs to be cold while testing, test at the same way you do the heater but Leave it snapped a the coils and make sure it's still cold, you should get continuity on both of these the way the meter shows in the video, if that's not the issue then it will be the control board that is bad, this controls both temperatures and defrost cycles,let me know what you find and I will send you a link to whichever part you need, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay I see what needs done. You answered my most basic question in one shot. Can it be fixed? Yes. Next question is, of the three parts that could be the cause, is the cost of any one part cost prohibitive; part and labor is more than the worth of the machine?

Our experience has been to call a tech, get charged $175+ for a service call to be told that the cost of the repair is 90% of the cost of the machine OR the part that has failed is not serviceable. He collects on work not done and I buy a new one anyway.

Is this my situation here? If it is cost effective...he gets a call...

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Well if it turns out to be the control board that would be the most expensive part, it runs around $100.00 the defrost thermostat runs around $40.00 and the heater is $28.90, so absolutely it's worth fixing if you do it yourself, here is a link to all the parts and they are all in stock, http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?s=t-PBF2255HEW-%3d%3de in the meantime to get this to run correctly, after you test the parts take a hairdryer in defrost all of the Frost on the coils, then put it all back together again, after this cools back down it will run correctly for 2 to 3 weeks before it freezes up again, so you will have plenty of time to order and receive the part you need and the refrigerator will run correctly until it gets there, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The link didn't come through Bryan.

If I'm looking at this drawing correctly, I have to pull the "guts" out the back to get at the items to check? What is the part # in the drawing for the thermostat.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?s=t-PBF2255HEW-%3d%3de try this blue link, yes you have to pull the guts out or basically the icemaker has to come out and then the back panel in the rear of the freezer, it says the thermostat is part number 32 on the diagram put I don't see it on the diagram, but it will be clipped to the part number 12 on the diagram the evaporator coils, usually on the top right side once you get it apart, you may need to defrosted it may be buried in ice or Frost, try not to defrosted too much is you do need a cold to test it just defrosted enough to get the wires and trace them to unplug it and test it while it's still on the coils and still cold, weird they say part number 32 on the diagram and yet I don't see it on the diagram so they must've made a mistake and forgot to put it in the diagram, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The test okay and about 32 Ohms. Can't see a way to get at the ends for the Thermostat though. Wires go through the top of the camber and disapear. Much higher that the rear access panel. Defrosting now. Do the wires go to the mother board?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You may need to cut the two wires going to the thermostat, sometimes these don't plug in there wired right into the main plug, make sure you before you cut Them you have plenty of room to spliced them back together and put wire nuts on them, we have to do this a lot, if need be you can finish defrosting it and then plug it back in and let the coils Frost up enough so the thermostat gets cold again and then test it, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have been very helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, have a great day, thanks, Bryan