Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

10 year old. Model #MTB2156DEW--Noticed the temp rising in

10 year old. Model #MTB2156DEW--Noticed the temp rising in the fridge and the unit running more and more. Adjusting the temp control did not help. Noticed frost building up on the back wall of the freezer and the vents covered completely. Transferred the food downstairs and unplugged the unit. Waited 36 hours and had a good amount of water that had to be cleaned up underneath. Plugged it in and it cooled down fine and transferred the food back in. Worked perfect for about a week and a half. The unit hardly had to turn on to maintain temperature. Now it is frosting back up again and running constantly. There are a number of parts that I can install concerning the defrost issue but how to I find out which one is faulty. Please help me. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan, I will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

You absolutely do have a defrost Frost issue in this, give me a few minutes I'm going to take a look at your model and I will get back to shortly, do you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a prettey good voltmeter but I'm not great at knowing how to work it. Mechanics and wood I'm good with but electrical work not so much. If you could tell me which settings to put the 2 dials on and just a brief suggestion I'm pretty sure that I can check what you need me to check.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I'm going to try and send you a video to show you how to run the meter and check continuity, the things you are going to need to check are 1 defrost thermostat,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
and the defrost heater,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
you checked these both essentially the same way, click this blue link it will show you how to set your meter and check the continuity on the heater, this will show you at least how to do this, we will get to the defrost thermostat in a little bit but first you need to get to the heater, here's the video you watch that while I bring up you diagrams to explain how to get to these parts, here's the link watch it and I'll be back shortly, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/663997?modelNumber=MTB2156DEW just click on the help video link when you get to the site, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan! I will get on this as soon as I get back this afternoon. I have to take care of some business. I hope your day goes well and I will get back with you as soon as possible. Like you, I have a honey do list as long as my arm. Trying to run errands, clean the carpets and fix the fridge before I go to work monday. I'm sure you have had much rougher days. Thanks for being patient with me. I feel positive that we can get this licked.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no problem, talk later, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Bryan

Sorry I've been so long getting back with you. Things are real busy for us right now. Anyway, thank you very much for the links. I tested the heater and though it looks bad it still showed a signal of about I think 27 or so. I then checked the thermostat and it did not show anything but when I changed the settings on my meter to 2000k I did get a reading. Now what do you think I should check?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

In my opinion your defrost timer is bad,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this is the replacement, there are only three things and you checked two of them and they check out, I would replace the timer, it's located in where your controls are inside the refrigerator section it's part number 15 on this diagram,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
if you drop the control down you will see it in the middle, you can order this at the following link

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Mayta g-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/68233-3/0046/464/Model-MTB2156DEW/3048/0166000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0166000&searchModelNumber=MTB2156DEW&subCompDesc=Controls&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=TOP-MOUNT-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11 this should take care your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan!

You have been very helpful and very patient. I know that you deal with a lot of clients and it may be worth reviewing our notes for further advice. I left out a part of our work progress. When you told me to test the defrost coil itself I looked up the instructions to use my meter and it tested out fine even though it looked really bad in appearance. I then checked the continuity on the thermostat and it showed nothing so I ordered the coil just to be sure and the thermostat because I thought it was bad. When the new parts came in I tested the thermo and it tested dead until I changed the setting on my meter. In reality both were good. But then we came to the conclusion that the timer was bad. I bought a new one and when I got in there I noticed that the defrost drain was clogged with THEIR SPECIAL SEALANT. I cleared it out, replaced the timer, coil, thermo, but feel that really all I needed to do was check the drain. FYI. I am out 170.00. I live pay check to pay check but I still may have come out ahead a little and learned quite a bit. I don't blame you cause you go by the book and that's good, but I just wanted to give you a bit of insight that MAY help you in the future diagnose future problems. I always feel like an idiot when I find out what was really wrong but that is the cost of not being a professional. Thanks for being patient and I hope my payment reaches you. You deserve it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thank you so much, sorry to hear you had so many problems dealing with this, well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.