Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I was cleaning the interior of the lint filter trap on my Whirlpool

I was cleaning the interior of the lint filter trap on my Whirlpool Duet dryer and brought up what I thought was excess lint. Instead it is a strip of foam about 6" x 1/2" x 1/4". May I continue to use the dryer without harm or danger? Should it be replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get us the full model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is difficult to read, but I believe it is: GEW9250PWG(or O). The dryer is about 5 1/2 years old.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay what you pull out of there is the seal that goes between the blower assembly and the blower housing,it is number 60 on this diagram, this is not unusual unfortunately, they are held on by double stick tape and essentially seals the blower housing and the blower so hot air doesn't escape into the dryer cavity, it should be replaced but more have any effect on how the dryer runs really, but it will allowed more lint to escape through the seal into the dryer assembly itself where the motor in all the other parts are, so it's best to replace it or have it replaced, the part itself is not expensive it's only like $4.50 but it can be a pain to put in, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan